Logo

Remove Impellers

ezuskin

Contributing Member
Been reading suggestions to re

Been reading suggestions to remove impellers from raw water pumps to avoid them taking a "set" during the off season. Also lube with petroleum jelly to avoid dry start in spring. Anyone doing this?
Eddie

"I've never done that impe

"I've never done that impeller removal stuff over the 50 years I've been messing with outboards and inboards, and I've only had one impeller failure--and that was during the boating season (a KG-7 Merc). I suppose it's a good idea but, jeepers, ain't there enough to do!

I know of a guy with a set of Chryslers that ran the SAME impeller, untouched, for 22 years--and it was still working when he changed it "just for the sake of it". Now, I'm not for an instant recommending such insanity, but it does show that impellers can last a while longer than most people think. Ingesting sand and or crap probably hurts them more than sitting all winter.

Jeff

PS: Some "new old stock" impellers have been sitting around so long they are dried out junk and should NEVER be used. Only new stock are reliable, so watch out!"

Thanks Jeff. Where in MD do yo

Thanks Jeff. Where in MD do you boat? On my 87 Searay I usually let the Marina mechanic do an outdrive service with impeller change every 2 years. I have not yet added pulling lower units to my DIY repetoire.
Eddie

"I pull mine & replace eve

"I pull mine & replace every year, for the cost of a couple of new ones its worth it to avoid the headache of doing it on a red hot engine in the middle of the lake, because sure as god made little green apples thats where it will fail if its going to. Also I use dish soap at the spring start up, I usually see the bubbles before the water."

"Peter,
Where the heck do you

"Peter,
Where the heck do you put the dish soap??? Are you using it for a lube or do you just like to see bubbles every spring? :>)
Eddie"

"Eddie, when I reassemble the

"Eddie, when I reassemble the pumps I use the dish soap as a lube to help get the new impellers in, then when the pumps are back on the engines I pour a little more soap into the housing through the out let side, then spin the pump by hand, connect the hoses, tighten up the belt & turn the key, usually takes about 10 to 15 seconds for the bubbles to appear at the stern, as soon as the bubbles show up I know the pump is pulling water."

"Peter,
It would seem one cou

"Peter,
It would seem one could use this method even if not changing the impeller. It would avoid the dry start up issue and give a visual indicator that water is flowing and I bet it looks cool too!
Eddie"

"Eddie,
Your right, if y

"Eddie,
Your right, if your pumps are like mine ( above the water line) its great for avoiding the dry start, as soon as the bubbles appear I know the prime worked, also its a good way to check on the thermostat, the soap on the exhaust side usually starts to disappear after a few minuets, so when the stat opens you get a fresh rush of bubbles from the engine side."

"Impellers are a lot tougher t

"Impellers are a lot tougher than what most people think. What kills them is running slit through the pump and dry running. I see people fire up their boat while it's still on the trailer, to "make sure the motor will start okay." Quite often I see them pull the boat back out after a few minutes of this nonsense!

Jeff"

Back