Logo

Which manual is best for me

bogie

"I have a 1987 90HP 3cyl oil i

"I have a 1987 90HP 3cyl oil injected Mariner motor.
Is the Seloc Mariner outboards tune-up and repair manual 1977-1989 the best for me ,or Seloc Mercury outboards 40-115Hp 1965-1989 the better choice?
Thank you"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
thumbs_up.gif
"

"Steven, from your initial que

"Steven, from your initial question regarding the two different Seloc's versions - your motor is a Mercury/Mariner so you would need the Mercury version from Seloc's - the Mariner version would be for Yamaha built Mariners (which yours is not)...."

"Thank you, Graham!!! I am ver

"Thank you, Graham!!! I am very grateful as I am not familar with the Mercury line. I am replacing a 75HP Evinrude with this 90HP Mariner, so I'm starting from the beginning as far as Mercury motors. I am missing the tilt tube on the Mariner and am not sure if my tube from the Evinrude is compatible with the Mariner,as well as the Steering cables.
I've been told the motor has been not used for two or three years, so I plan to change the Water pump, plugs,change lower unit oil, as well as run it with mixture of gas and oil to insure the oil injection is fuctional.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you, Steve"

"The 90 horse Merc (or Mar

"The 90 horse Merc (or Mariner dressed in your case) is probably the most prolific mid-range horsepower outboard ever produced by any mfg.

The "conventional" 2 stroke 90 is still in production today (one of only a few still on the market). Over the years it has changed very little so virtually all parts are still available (and in production).

You would have to measure the tilt-tube to see if it would work, however, I have my doubts (and you do want an exact fit).

As to your control cables. The ends will not be the same (at the motor end) for sure. If the current ends can be "unscrewed" you can get merc replacement ends from just about any marine supply. Generic cables (such as teleflex 3300's) are just that = "generic", you purchase whatever ends you need.

Additionally, if you have an original OMC control box you may have to fiddle with the adjustments to get it to operate the cables properly with a Merc. Aftermarket shifters or those produced by US Marine have/had a few different anchor points for the cables. If I'm remembering correctly I think OMC's have a little more push/pull length than Merc's (or the other way around)

In any event, you should be able to adjust to account for that using your current shifter..."

Back