Logo

1978 chrys 318 engine

jstewart3

"Installed a new Elde 1409 car

"Installed a new Elde 1409 carb on 318 engine. It will idle fine. When I go to get both 318 engines up on plane, the 318 with the new carb will back fire. I just got the boat a few months ago and when I would give the engine gas with the old carb, the engine would just die. I changed the plugs and wires and took her out today and still the same problem. ??? anyone??"

"1. Check to see all 8 cylind

"1. Check to see all 8 cylinders are firing by pulling the plug wires, one at a time, from the distributor while idling at 1,500 rpms (my new way).

2. Be sure the gas is water free, has an in-line METAL can filter only after the fuel pump, and that the anti-syphin valve is not blocked.

Then get back to us.

Jeff"

"If you got steam from the exh

"If you got steam from the exhaust, you most likely have clogged manifolds and or risers causing the cooling water to boil and steam. I had the same thing happen this summer and had to go for new exhaust risers and manifolds. Expensive, but necessary. Also check the pump, trans cooler, and any heat exchangers for clogs, as this can impede the flow of cooling water, and cause overheating. Also check for any air leaks in the cooling system, I accidentally left a fresh water engine flush valve open, and got a lot of steam out of the exhaust. But I would look at the manifolds first,(usually the culprit). Plus if they go, they will leak water into the cylinders causing REALLY bad things. Good luck"

"At this time of year, in cold

"At this time of year, in cold weather, steam from the exhausts is common. I even have it sometime in the heat of summer. The question is, how MUCH steam?

Jeff"

"Yeah, Jeff has a point, a sl

"Yeah, Jeff has a point, a slight bit of steam is ok, but if you have an unusally large amount, something is clogged up"

Back