Logo

30Hp Johnson how much oil

yowiie

"Hi,
Just joined the discussi

"Hi,
Just joined the discussion from Australia, cam any one help me out.
I have just dropped the oil from the gearbox and need to know the quantity to replace it with.
The motor is a 1988 30Hp Johnson.
Also I have just replaced the water pump and while I dropped the oil from the drain I noticed a small patch of oil under the leg. I had the motor tilted back on the support leg and there was a small quantity of oil coming from a hole on the opposite side of the oil fill hole any ideas."

"to fill it properly: you pump

"to fill it properly: you pump the oil in from the bottom drain plug until it runs out the top vent plug. then put the vent plug back in (like putting your finger over a straw), then remove squeeze bottle or pump and replace drain plug quickly.

I suspect the other leak you see is just oily exhaust soot running out the water drain hole - normal for a 2 stroke outboard."

"Also fit the drain and level

"Also fit the drain and level plug screws with new washers or O rings as appropriate as it is said that they are the most common source of water ingress.

Agree about the oil from the other hole, at least if it is black and gungy but if it is clearly clean gear oil then there is a seal leaking on the top of the gearcase, Either the seal on the shift rod or the drive shaft seals below the water pump."

"How much oil is needed to

"How much oil is needed to fill this particular gear case"

You need the owners manual. It'll tell you in there! It does in mine!

In the back of the Sierra 2008

In the back of the Sierra 2008 Marine Parts Catalog is a Gear Lube Capacity Chart. OMC 30 HP (1984-Thru) 11 Oz.

Back