Logo

1990 43 alpha all just rebuilt butcoupler snapped

"have 17 ft thundercraft with

"have 17 ft thundercraft with 1990 4.3 alpha(do not know if gen 1 or2) everything just rebuilt!1
5 hours on new engine , was coming on plane pulling a tube, went to neutral(i thought)started burning rubber ,smoking, restarted idled to dock , shaft from engine to outdrive stopped turning so shut down, do i pull the engine out or pull the outdrive to repair the coupler hub
between engine crank and driveshaft???
do i need a re alignment tool to reinstall motor or outdrive? who sells them? this is my first sterndrive i have owned, i am scared i trashed it!i need a veteran mercruiser GURUto advise me
THANKS!"

reggie duffield
There was a f

reggie duffield
There was a fellow on eBay selling them for around $35.00
Bert

"Reggie;
You will have to pul

"Reggie;
You will have to pull the drive, then the engine to get at and change the coupler I'm afraid.

Rod"

"i must take drive off to allo

"i must take drive off to allow engine to be raised up,i am guessing ,also after repair of coupling, install engine, use alignment tool, then adjust engine mounts, last install sterndrive.do i need to remove gimble bearing housing slso? or just drive to remove driveshaft from coupler? thanks!!}"

"When you remove the outdrive,

"When you remove the outdrive, you will remove the driveshaft from the coupler. This will become clear after the drive is removed. Then, remove the engine. Take some measurements/pictures to get the engine back in the same spot upon installation. The alignment bar will be used for fine adjustment. I hope you are getting a manuel to help. No need to remove the bearing houseing, but inspect everything while its apart.
Chris"

"thanks chris! yes i have read

"thanks chris! yes i have read thru 2 manuals including the seloc manual but they are vague,i am downloading the mercruiser manuals on this website now, i get the idea from the notes you guys wrote better than a tech manual,
THE IMPORTANT THING IS ENGINE OUTDRIVE GEOMETRY AND WHILE IT IS APART RENEW ALL THINGS QUESTIONABLE SO I AM NOT DOING THIS AGAIN NEXT WEEK BECAUSE OF A LEAKING BELLOWS OR SHOT BEARINGS!!!
WILL LET YOU KNOW FINISHED PRODUCT
THANKYOU FOR ALL GUYS TIME!"

"i am attempting a coupler rep

"i am attempting a coupler replacement next week, upon shopping for a part i became confused about engine/ outdrive identification. here are my numbers:SN ON OUTDRIVE 0C886525------NUMBERS ON THE CARBURETOR COVER ARE DRIVE# 0P305010-----
ENGINE# 0C767181--------TRANSOME#OC886525
WHAT DO I HAVE AND WHAT NUMBER DETERMINES THE COUPLER CHOICE?
I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED THIS FORUM!I READ THIS NOW!
I GAVE UP TV THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE!
IT IS A BLESSING!"

Reggie
My parts books shows a

Reggie
My parts books shows a 18643A 2 coupler for that engine serial number.
Bert

Back