Logo

318 RIGHT HAND ROTATION

pete2225

"I AM CONVERTING A LEFT HAND R

"I AM CONVERTING A LEFT HAND ROTATION 318 TO A RIGHT HAND. IS THERE ANYTHING BESIDES THE CAMSHAFT,OIL PUMP DRIVE GEAR,STARTER AND FIRING ORDER. THAT I HAVE TO CHANGE. THANK YOU"

"You change the camshaft ONLY

"You change the camshaft ONLY and the rest of the parts take care of themselves. The distributor is different--it has a special thrust bearing and spacer that goes in the manifold.

By the way, the pistons go in the other way around--the notch that normally points forward is aimed to the rear. Omit this and you'll have vicious piston slap.

Jeff"

"I am rebuilding a chrysler 31

"I am rebuilding a chrysler 318 engine for a right hand rotation marine application. There are many conflicting opinions on the need for piston reversal, (front notch to the rear), in order to compensate for piston pin offset. Does anybody know from personal experience whether or not Chrysler 318 pistons need to be reversed when converting to right hand rotation?

Also, I am aware of the need for a right hand rotation front oil seal, is there a special rear oil seal as well?

Thanks,

Glenn"

I had the head off of my rever

I had the head off of my reverse rotation motor and the pistons were installed with the notch facing the rear--which is correct.

THe rear seal is different (I think). Better check.

Jeff

Crank is different ( part

Crank is different ( part number anyways ) I don't recall if the throws are different of just the rear seal knurling. If someone knows for sure please post it. Thanks
Dave

The factory seals were origina

The factory seals were originally made in both cw or ccw versions. My suppliers now only sell the rope style which can be used on either.

Dave

"Well I got thinking so I open

"Well I got thinking so I opened up the parts books and there are No difference in the pistons for std or rev. rotation, so then I pulled the factory manual and looked thru it to see if there was any mention of installing the pistons differently for a std or rev rotation engine, and there was no difference mentioned.. Unless someone can produce some data showing otherwise I think I would believe the factory manual but that's just me.
Dave"

"Dave:

The pistons are the

"Dave:

The pistons are the same, but you install them with the notch facing aft (instead of forward). I have SEEN this on my very good running starboard 360.

The reason is this: To prevent piston slap, the rod is deliberately offset about a 1/16 inch to one side (where the wrist pin is). This forces the piston against the wall as it rises instead of letting it flop about. If the piston is aimed the other way the offset would be an 1/8 inch the wrong direction! That would make for a very noisy motor.

Jeff"

"I was reading the service man

"I was reading the service manual last night and they didn't mention it in the factory manual anywhere. I was looking for that exact thought. I would really like to see somewhere it is in writing. I'm going to go thru some more manuals I have here to see if it is mentioned in any of them.

I am aware of the offset, but honestly had never heard of flipping it over in a reverse engine...

More food for thought....
Dave"

Back