Logo

1977 85 hp johnson no spark

dridog

The engine was running fine. I

The engine was running fine. I was on the water and had been riding for about 30 minutes and it just died like I shut off the switch.
I have got all the way in my troubleshooting method that I have eliminated that the problem is in the key switch. I have unplugged the red cannon wire connection that connects the key switch to the motor and jumped across the starter solenoid and I still have no spark at plugs. Where do I go next?

"Don.... Did you have the spar

"Don.... Did you have the spark plugs removed when you did that spark test? If not, do so and run that test again. The engine needs to turn over at least 300 rpm in order to energize the ignition, so with the s/plugs installed, the test will not be suitable (plugs hold the cranking rpms down).

If no spark with the plugs removed, and the RED connecteor disconnected, assuming the engine cranking speed is as it should be, the usual cause is a failed powerpack.

But first, before replacing the powerpack, look under the flyheel at the green stator. If a substance is leaking out of it, dripping down on the powerhead, that would indicate that the stator is faulty which would result in a voltage drop to the powerpack which in turn would result in weak, erratic, and eventually no ignition. The powerpack could still be faulty BUT if this stator condition exists, it would prevent a perfectly good powerpack from functioning.

Also, with the RED slectrical plug "connected", remove the black/yellow wire from the powerpack and connect a volt meter between it and a powerhead ground. Engine NOT running but with the key in the ON position..... there should be NO VOLTAGE applied to that wire. If even a miilivolt exists at that wire with the key ON but not when the key is OFF, replace the key switch. Any voltage applied to that wire will destroy the powerpack.

Let us know what you find.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Thanx for the info. I pulled t

Thanx for the info. I pulled the plugs and did the spark check again. Stil no spark. I pulled the flywheel I saw some cracks in the the black insulation material on top but I did not see anything dripping from the green area of the stator. I was unable to check the black yellow wire until i get my meter from work tomorrow. Once I check that if I do not have voltage then I am assuming I need a power pack. Is that correct? If I do have voltage then I am assuming I have a bad key switch and possibly a bad power pack also Correct?
I also noticed I have some oil dripping from the propeller area. Not a lot but enoughto be concerned. Im guessing there is a seal I probably need to replace as well. Is this a simple task ?

"Flywheel nut torque must be 1

"Flywheel nut torque must be 105 foot pounds. Anything less will result in a sheared flywheel key and damage to the flywheel and crankshaft tapers.

Ohm reading between the Brown/Yellow and the Brown wire of the stator must be 630 ohms +/- 75. ohms. Check it! If reading is not proper, the stator is faulty regardless of its physical condition.

If stator checks out okay and no voltage is present on ther black/yellow wire, replace the powerpack.

Oil dripping..... if the oil is pitch black, it is probably just the unburnt fuel mixtire flowing down the inside of the sooty long exhaust housing. Check the color of the gearlube that is actually within the gearcase.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Thanx again. I will check thos

Thanx again. I will check those items tomorrow. One more question. How do you measure a prop?

"Remove the prop nut and space

"Remove the prop nut and spacer. On the face of the propeller hub you will see a row of numbers, something (but not exactly) like 13-1/4x17.

The first number (above 13-1/4) will be the diameter of the propeller. The second number (above 17) will be the distance the prop would travel thru the water in one revolution "IF" no slippage existed."

"Ok I checked the ohms I have

"Ok I checked the ohms I have 675. And I have no voltage on the browwn yellow wire.Thanx I guess I need to buy a power pack. Thanx, Don"

"The voltage check, as stated

"The voltage check, as stated above, would pertain to the Black/Yellow wire, NOT the Brown/Yellow wire.

If voltage exists at this black/yellow wire with the key OFF or ON, replace the ignition switch."

"Im sory I meant the black yel

"Im sory I meant the black yellow wire.I also have no voltage on the black yellow wire either with switch off or on. Thanx,"

ok guys I replaced the power p

ok guys I replaced the power pack.I now have spark. I turned engine over for maybe 1 second and used a spark tester that showed me spark. But I also did the voltage check on the black and yellow wire with a new switch installed as well and I have no voltage with switch off but I have over 300 mv with switch on. I changed the switch because once i installed the new power pack I had voltage at the black yellow wire.What do you think ?

"u cant have any voltage on bl

"u cant have any voltage on blk/yellow wire...we're talking volts,..not ohm's w/key off."

"don im sorry to tell you this

"don im sorry to tell you this but joe is taking a break. there are a lot of other knowledgeable people on here...........sorry i dont know anything about the tests you are doing but hang in there someone will help im sure.

heres joes last message for a while

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12478/221316.shtml

you may be able to click on his profile and send him a personal message or do a search on this site to get more info on your problem"

"i answered your question....i

"i answered your question....if u have ANY.volts on blk/yell.it will kill pack,..bad switch,wire touching hot on sw etc.........BUT I'M NOT JOE REEVES"

jW you said if the key is off.

jW you said if the key is off. I do not have voltage when the key is off. I have .334 volts when i have switch on. Joe said either on or off. so I am a little confused.

"exactly bub...........u cant

"exactly bub...........u cant have any.volts on the blk/yell,at ANY time........if u do,u will be buying another pack in a while....bad switch,..wire touching.etc.......it is a GROUND circuit..volts-to pack..is bad news.."

"don....pls make sure,...u r m

"don....pls make sure,...u r measuring VOLTS,...its easy to not have meter in correct location....ohms...WILL show up,in OFF position...no volts allowed to pack,on blk/yell.if so,u have found a problem."

ok thanx Jw. I replaced the sw

ok thanx Jw. I replaced the switch so i guess that means I have a short somewhere in the wiring. What is realy strange is that I still have voltage when I disconnect the red cannon that runs to the switch. any thoughts on that

"absolutely---------u have eli

"absolutely---------u have eliminated the sw----------and,i have NEVER had that problem...man,i'd triple ck all your tests....do not bother going in to sw again...
i just dont see ,how,..at the eng,u can have voltage on blk/yell.......it is a ground/kill circuit.........i am talking about,.w/eng off.........yes?.......get the pa k out of circuit,...disc blk yell at pack,and trk it down."

"after thinking on this,......

"after thinking on this,.......the only time i have ever come accross this type of prob,is in bay boats that r parked in old barns,---------rats......ate wires up."

ok guys I am really confused n

ok guys I am really confused now. I can check the black/ yellow wire from either the power pack end or the red cannon end with the cannon unplugged and I get 22mv. The short wiring harness appears to be in great shape. What is up? Help

"ok guys. I have stripped all

"ok guys. I have stripped all the tape off of the harness. All looks normal no wires are bare or insulation broken, but i still have 22 mv on the black / yellow wire and the red cannon is disconnected. I am lost now. What happens if I leave the black / yellow wire disconnected?"

"u will not be able to kill yo

"u will not be able to kill your engine..........r u sure,u r measuring VOLTS,not ohm's...common mistake...."

Back