Logo

Lower End Units

pdotek

I have a 1977 70hp Johnson &#4

I have a 1977 70hp Johnson (70EL77s) that had the lower end replaced. The guy I bought it from said that the original was a "hydro assist" and the current one is "mechanical" How can I be sure of what model was orginally on this motor? Will this make a difference when it comes time to rebuild the water pump?

"In agreement with Vic, as fol

"In agreement with Vic, as follows.

The term "Hydro" pertaining to any OMC shift system existed on various models dating from 1968 to 1972. This was called the Hydro Electric Shift system.

From 1973 to 1978, a shift system called the "Shift Assist" setup was used on various OMC engines..... BUT..... the 1977 70hp Evinrude/Johnson model was not one of them.

Your engine, the 1977 70hp Johnson incorporated a straight mechanical shift system."

"Thanks for the info. I'm

"Thanks for the info. I'm posting a couple of photos to see if it can be determined by the linkage what actual lower end is on the unit now.

Current = what I have on the motor now
220897.jpg
current"">

Original = what was shipped on the motor and what the guy gave me as a spare part
220898.jpg
original

"btw, the top photo or "cu

"btw, the top photo or "current" is from the 70ES75B model. This was the only one that I found the linkage that actually looked like what is on my motor."

Back