Logo

Need help shaking down new setup

skeetermatt

"Just completed a completely n

"Just completed a completely new (used) boat, motor combination. It's basicaly a new boat except the fiberglass. New gas tank, fuel lines and primer bulb, gages, wiring, batteries, Mercury controll box with new harness and new shift throttle cables, and a 1987 inline 6 90hp mariner that was just tuned up and had lower end rebuilt at a local Mercury shop. Today was the first time out on the water, started and idled fine at around 1000 RPM, putted out to the channel and slowley put the power on, was impressed with the fast onplane and first 3/4 throttle, went to full throttle and checked tach and speedo, 45 MPH at 3500 RPM and that all she had, ran smooth and strong but unless I'm wrong it should but topping out around 5000 rpm, tach is set to 6P, boat is a 15'6" skeeter fiberglass bass boat, checked full throttle in the garage while adjusting new cables and the throttle plates were in the WOT possition, new fuel pumps and carbs adjusted. I was told the motor was in excellent condition. I bolted the motor in the third hole and mounting height measures approx 22" on a 20" transom, the only numbers I can find on the prop are T310. Like I said this was a shake down run and I'm new to outboards. I would greatlly appreciate any guidance and or suggestions"

"check for spark on all cyl wi

"check for spark on all cyl with a timing light. Caution, if you have a carb problem (plugged jet) 1/3 of that engine will not get proper lube while running. Best be sure those carbs are clean."

"thanks for the ideas, do you

"thanks for the ideas, do you mean I try to test spark at WOT, and how might I do that. Printed out a break down for the carbs, will removing and cleaning the jets effect the mixture adjustment"

"you can check for spark at id

"you can check for spark at idle to verify you have spark. Carbs are best torn down and cleaned completly. It sounds like the engine is running fine, I was just trying to caution you about running an engine with a problem"

"Are there any gaskets that I

"Are there any gaskets that I should get prior to removing and cleaning the Carbs, is the 3.5k RPM that I got the top end or is there more, and can you help me identfy the dia. and pitch of the prop. Thanks"

"Matthew, it sounds like your

"Matthew, it sounds like your engine is making full power and the tach is not set correctly. I tried the Teleflex site and was un-able to get the pole setting for your engine. 3500rpm is not the correct max for your engine, you should be up at the 5000- 5300rpm. Prop size will be determined by rpm of the engine, empty load with 1 person in the boat. Until you find out what the engine is doing you need not worry about this. This is a good site for parts.
http://www.crowleymarine.com/
this site for engine manual
http://www.brunswickmarineemea.com/download/main?type=corp"

"Thanks JB, not wanting to dam

"Thanks JB, not wanting to damage anything I took the boat to my local Mercury shop and they ran it on the dyno, engine is fine tach is wrong, although it is new. They could not tell me what the specs were on the prop, like I mentioned before the only number on it is T310, any idea how I can find out the info on this prop"

Back