Logo

1971 Evinrude 6hp Waterpump

jack57

How can you tell if the pump i

How can you tell if the pump is in good condition and how hard is it to replace?Does this motor throw a water stream that can be seen?

Should be steady. If it hasn&

Should be steady. If it hasn't been replaced in a couple years it would probably be a good idea to do so. If you know what you are doing it isn't hard to do.

"Can anyone tell me what all i

"Can anyone tell me what all i need to order to replace the impeller? Is there a kit?
Thanks, Tim"

"Find your motor on [url=""]ht

"Find your motor on http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f.

The diagrams will help you but are no substitute for a manual. You'll see there if there is an OEM kit* but even if not there could be an aftermarket kit. Who knows, even Marine engine.com may be able to supply one.

There is no telltale on that vintage but you should see some mist, spray or droplets from the exhaust relief on the leg.

* impeller kit and pump kit listed!"

"After looking at the diagrams

"After looking at the diagrams i believe I can do this work if i need to. This motor has been sitting for 10 years in my garage. i rebuilt carbuator and it started right up in tank. I only ran it a fifteen seconds because I did not remember if it had a visable stream. It worked when I stopped using it, but i recently burnt up a newer motor by not paying attention and not having the alarm wire hooked up. Is the exaust relief the upper hole at rear of shaft that would be covered by water? Any more help would be appreciated?
Thanks, Tim"

"Tim,

If the 6 hp is anyth

"Tim,

If the 6 hp is anything similar to the 4 hp of similar vintage, you shouldn't have too much trouble - I just did waterpump overhauls with no previous experience on one of those from 1972 and another one from 1980.

The trickiest part was getting the drive shaft back into the crankshaft while simultaneously making sure the water pump tube inserted properly into the grommet on the impeller housing. Having the motor clamped to a stand and tilted horizontally, while shining a flashlight down the housing for visual aiming helped a lot.

Also, on one of the motors (I forget which one), the drive shaft accidentally slipped out of the gear housing at some point. The only way to get it connected with the gears again seemed to be to turn the gear housing upside down... don't really know if it's supposed to work like this but it went back together and seems to function fine.
happy.gif

Good luck!"

Back