Logo

Drain It First or Just Add AF

clarkem

"I did not drain my 3.0L Mercr

"I did not drain my 3.0L Mercruiser before adding the AF, should I drain it now and leave it empty for the winter or just leave it with the AF in it since I ran 3 gallons through the whole motor starting at the water intake on the outdrive.

What do you guys think???"

"This seems to be the question

"This seems to be the question of the day. I believe in draining first then adding AF. My rational is that there are low flow areas in the block that have the potential to retain water. This way I'm sure that I haven't got diluted AF anywhere. It seems though that guys have successfully done both. I guess its what your comfortable with. Its gets mighty cold here in Alberta so I like to be safe. I'll let you know after winter I guess
snow.gif
"

Do you think I should just dra

Do you think I should just drain it now and leave it empty or leave it the way it is. If I drain it at least I am getting rid of the low flow areas and yet still have some AF remaining.

"If you get right down to it.

"If you get right down to it. The proper way to winterize according to the manufacturer would be to drain all the water first, then add your RV antifreeze to the block by pouring some down the large hose from your T stat housing and also pouring some into the smaller hoses to the manifolds. About a gallon or so. I'm not sold on running it thru the outdrive. You better be sure your T-stat was open etc etc.
To be safe I would drain it, like you said you likely have AF where you need it but the choice is yours..."

Just checked all the drain &#4

Just checked all the drain (blue)hoses and they all had nice bright pink AF in them so I think I am good for the winter.

What do you think

take a sample of the anti free

take a sample of the anti freeze and test it with an antifreeze gauge.If you are -34 your ok. You can purchase one at your local automotive parts shop.

"If you're going to take a

"If you're going to take a sample to test it, you may as well just drain it all and save it for next year. Thats what I do. If theres any left in the corners (inside the block) it should be strong enough. Atleast there won't be so much in there that if it freezes it can expand to break something.

Wrench"

""so I think I am good for

""so I think I am good for the winter. "
you`ll know in the spring. You drain first,pour the A/F into the motor and manifolds.You have no idea if the therm was open. If not, your manifolds are pink and the block is clear a waiting disaster."

I ran the motor on the hose fo

I ran the motor on the hose for 15 to 20 mins to get it up to opertaion temp before I put the AF in. I also have checked all the quick disconnects and all showed nice pink AF. How could there be amy water if all drains are pink and I put through 3 gallons of AF before the fogging if off??

"Ayuh,....

The Odds are, th

"Ayuh,....

The Odds are, that it's Safe....
Roll the Dice.....
You can tell Us if the Odds fell in your favor in the Spring,...
We'll all still be here,... Waiting to see...

I Drain all of mine.....

Air, just Doesn't Freeze....."

My 1979 470 motor had green af

My 1979 470 motor had green af in it when I bought it used so I have continued to use auto green at 50:50. You guys are using pink rv stuff. Is that better than green or what? JW in Dixie

"Warren ,"green stuff"

"Warren ,"green stuff" is normally used when you have "fresh water cooling" system.regular A/F circulates thru the engine and maybe the manifolds.your raw water is contained in the heat exchanger and risers and that needs to be drained on the raw water side .It`s Not part of the "winterizing " question. The "pink stuff" is what we must use in a marina or near water.Different views on going wet or dry but the trick is to remove all the watewr so you dont have a freeze crack"

Back