Logo

1989 90hp Evinrude Fuel Consumption

kermit

"Hi, I'm after some inform

"Hi, I'm after some information on a 1989 90hp Evinrude. It's an oil injected 2 stroke engine. This little beauty has only done 58hrs and is mint condition. Is there anyone out there able to give me an idea as to it's approximate fuel consumption? Would be very grateful.
Cheers"

"Now i depends on what you are

"Now i depends on what you are doing with it...Pulling skiiers..running wide open..crusing at 5000 Rpm's full trimed out, trolling..etc...If the motor is performing well, it is getting the best mileage under the different conditions...hot days tend to increase fuel comption..and the list could go on..."

"Hi Tim,
Sorry, should have g

"Hi Tim,
Sorry, should have given more info:
Cruising around 3000-3500 Rpm's, mostly fully trimmed, in cold weather. Motor has just been serviced prior to purchase, but doesn't seem to stretch the fuel too well. Only got about 12-13km (8 miles) on a spare 10lt (2.6gal) container of fuel. Does this sound about right or thirsty?
Cheers"

"8 Miles to the gallon isn&#39

"8 Miles to the gallon isn't to bad...Another factor is the weight of the boat, hull type,people in the boat, supplies, etc...Sounds to me that you are getting pretty good distance on your fuel consumption..."

"Sorry, ment to say 4+ mil

"Sorry, ment to say 4+ miles to the Gal...are you running full throttle to reach the RPM's you stated..?"

"Not at full throttle - thrott

"Not at full throttle - throttle at about 70-80% and around 3000-3500 rpms. Our main inboard tank only holds around 16 gallons, so it's not going to get us very far @ 4mpg. We're running a Caribbean Crestcutter with 2A 2C onboard, with some fishing gear (not a lot). Would have thought we should get around 8mpg, not 4!"

I agree...mileage should be hi

I agree...mileage should be higher..what will the enginr turn at full throttle...? should be around 5500 to 5600 wideopen..at about 80-85 percent should be turning about 5000...

Haven't run it at full thr

Haven't run it at full throttle yet - only had it out twice to give it a try. Will test it out on the weekend to check the rpms etc and get back to you. Cheers

"If running too rich: plugs wo

"If running too rich: plugs would foul down. If plugs are normal light brownish, ok. The engine takes what it needs for operating, just accept it and do not try any foolish quick tricks. Remember if You 'reduce' fuel by playing with jets or similar, You even takes away lubrication.
1Liter/Nm is around normal, all depending on boat, load kind of use etc."

Back