Logo

Replacing omc king cobra 460 motor with 460 car motor

B

barry carb

My 1988 Liberator has frozen m

My 1988 Liberator has frozen motor. Can I put a 460 car motor in it? What will I have to change? The boat is old and not worth putting a lot of money into. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks

"You mean truck engine? I don&

"You mean truck engine? I don't think that any of the 460's were put in cars except possibly a few muscle cars. It will work. Change freeze plugs to brass and use all the other parts (starter, distributor, altenator) from your marine engine. Marine electrical parts are shielded against producing sparks. I would use the marine carb (has different jets and floats in it) and manifold. Your marine 460 probably has a beefy cam since its in a Liberator, which is a performance boat. May want to check that. I knew a guy that had a liberator that came with twin 460's. Talk about a gas hog! The thing did haul though."

"You should be able to use an

"You should be able to use an automotive based 460. They are very common and durable. Contrary to what Barry stated, 460's were used in many, many cars from full size Mercury cars and wagons, Lincolns, thunderbirds, full size Ford cars, vans, etc. Another alternative is the 429. The 429 engine is the same block as the 460, but has a shorter stroke.

As Barry stated use your marine intake manifold, starter, and accessories, along with the freeze plugs."

I have 19 foot 79 baja with 46

I have 19 foot 79 baja with 460 that im going to rebuild. to my knowledge they are the same as in the heavy duty pickup and industrial equipment.

All 429s and 460s are exactly

All 429s and 460s are exactly the same from 1967 to around 1980 except for a change in firing order from 429 to 460 and different crank stroke. Use a marine or RV type cam they are relatively low lift and longer duration which will give you more torque at lower speeds for "Hole shot". Otherwise it should be bolt for bolt changeover.

Back