Logo

Oil on intake manifold

twiscomb

I have a 1980 formula with a m

I have a 1980 formula with a merc 260 and a 1978 century with a merc 898. Both boats are in excellent condition. Both engines have an area on top of the intake manifold where a small puddle of engine oil accumulates. It is not a large amount however it is annoying to me. I have replaced the rocker cover gaskets and it still leaks. The oil does not come from the breather hoses that connect to the carbs. I think this is a common problem but I am not sure of the cure. Thanks. Tom Wiscomb.

"Ayuh,...

The Only 2 places

"Ayuh,...

The Only 2 places that there is oil, Above the intake is at the valve cover gaskets,+ the breather tubes...
It's pretty much Got to be 1 or the other...."

"Near the back, front, or wher

"Near the back, front, or where?
Which side?
Kind of weird, as there is no source of engine oil near the intake manifold other than possibly a pressure switch at the extreme aft end near the distributor, or the distributor itself.

Are you sure its not condensed oil vapor from the breather tubes?

Rod"

If your engines are Chevy V-8&

If your engines are Chevy V-8's is the oil right under the Carb.? If so you need to remove the Intake Manifold bolts and apply thread sealant to them. They are known for Wicking oil. Al W. Remember to Torque them as per specs.

"I have replaced the valve cov

"I have replaced the valve cover gaskets on one of the motors but not the other. On the 898 motor, I do not think I can get to the valve cover bolts without removing the exhaust manifold. Is it difficult to remove the exhaust manifold to remove the valve covers? Is there anything I should be concerned about with such an old motor?"

"[b]"It is not a large amo

""It is not a large amount however it is annoying to me.
Is there anything I should be concerned about with such an old motor?"

Ayuh,...

I suppose you could open up 1 or several different cans of worms by trying to Fix your Non-Issue....

I can't see your boat, or it's motors....
For all I know, you may have to remove 1/2 of the boat to even get a wrench on the manifolds,...
Or it might be a Saltwater boat that I wouldn't touch with Your wrenches...."

"Tom;
As Bondo says, check wh

"Tom;
As Bondo says, check what kind of working clearance you have.
As far as removing the risers and manifolds, no big deal as long as none of the studs are seized and shear off.
Once they are out of the way it is pretty clear sailing to change the valve cover gaskets. You will of course need new manifold and riser gaskets for reassembly.
You will also need to remove the shift cable bracket from the stbd riser (3 small bolts), and push it out of the way.

Rod"

Back