Logo

1992 70hpforce

tomedwil

I recentally bought a 1992 bay

I recentally bought a 1992 bayliner capri with a 70 hp force I want to get the best performance I can get out of this boat. does anyone have any suggestions. keepon a budget in mind. thanks

"Assuming the motor is running

"Assuming the motor is running ok - replace the sparkplugs, change the impeller and lower unit oil unless you have proof the impeller was replaced either this year or last - the gear oil needs to be done annually.

Get rid of any thoughts about "souping up" the motor. Not worth it and unless you lie to yourself, will make no difference that you can detect.

Determine if the set-up has the correct prop. Going with lot's of pitch because "this guy" said it would make it faster is pure non-sense. The prop should allow the motor to get to it's optimum wide open throttle (wot) rpm.

On your particular rig that is about 5000 rpms at full throttle. Significantly lower or higher rpms would indicate an incorrect prop.

... A tune up and the correct prop is best way to get max performance from any motor - if you want MORE POWER then you have to refit with a higher horsepower motor - that's the only feasable way..."

"Grahm thanks for the info. It

"Grahm thanks for the info. It runs out great now so i will just leave it alone. I don't know alot about outboards, so I thought I'D ASK TO SEE IF THER WERE ANY little tricks up anyones sleeve to make it even better."

"Tom, you can spend a bundle t

"Tom, you can spend a bundle trying to squeeze 1 more horse out of the motor, but in reality it makes such little difference that it is never worth it on a stock motor.

With that particular rig going from a 70 to a 90 horse would only net you 3 more mph under absolutely perfect conditions - the cost to turn a 70 into a 90 could run you a grand - so is worth 300-400 bucks for every extra mile per hour?

Old sparkplugs can rob you of 5-10% of your horsepower and the wrong prop up to 15%, so just having it matched and tuned properly will assure you of getting as close to 70 horses as possible..."

Back