Logo

Torque Spec for 1972 Evinrude 18 hp flywheel nut

j_scott

"I have manuals up to 1970 for

"I have manuals up to 1970 for 18 HP.What is the torque spec.for the 1972 Evinrude 18 hp. flywheel nut? Or is 480-540 inch pounds correct?

Thanks, Jimmy"

"Book says...40-45 foot pounds

"Book says...40-45 foot pounds! Same as 480-540 inch pounds...it is the same torque for all of the 18, 20 and 25hp from 1968-1976"

"Not trying to be one to confu

"Not trying to be one to confuse the issue, but since this forum is educational in nature, I thought a little explanation might be in order. Torque is a measure of load and is properly expressed in pound-inches (lb.-in.) or pound-feet (lbs.-ft.) and should not be confussed with work, which is expressed in inch-pounds (in.-lbs.) or foot-pounds (ft.-lbs.)."

"Back to school Allan. You&#39

"Back to school Allan. You're a little off the mark.

Either lb-ft or ft-lb is correct for expressing torque, which is considered a form of force.

Work is a force multiplied by a speed. For example, an engine's work would be torque times RPM divided by 5252. It would be expressed in horsepower or kilowatts.

Study up!"

"Dcramer,
Yes it has been a w

"Dcramer,
Yes it has been a while, and I agree with your statement. But it has long been my understanding that to differentiate torque work from other forms of work the unit of measure is Ib.-ft. Maybe I am a little behind the times."

Back