Logo

V drives

flipflops

looking at new boats 33-35&#39

looking at new boats 33-35' range...1st walter vdrive ...any good? heard they are very difficult to align and regularliy need to be checked....what are the pros and cons?..vdrive or i/os?(besides ride and speed and gph..purely from a repair and maintenence angle...

"The Walter V drives in my 87

"The Walter V drives in my 87 Silverton have almost 1900hrs on them.I ck the fluid level in both the drive and trans every other cruise. It only takes a few minutes.They can be difficult to align but once done they are fine. I replaced the mounts before I did mine almost 12 yrs ago. At lay-up time I disconnect the flange for the winter and reassemble in the spring. This will help keeping everything straight. As far as repair, I did rebuild one for a friend about 4 yrs ago. It realy wasen't bad. Took about 8hrs time and it still runs great.The only bad thing I can say is that they are VERY heavy,which makes it difficult during removal / installation.Good luck with your search."

I didn't know anybody stil

I didn't know anybody still used them Most now use V-drive transmissions. It's a much better set-up if you have the option.

Back