Logo

2005 Nissan 18HP 4 stroke no oil pressure

bobinatx

"I just acquired a 2005 Nissan

"I just acquired a 2005 Nissan 18HP 4 stroke. It looks like new, the oil looks like new. It starts right up, sounds beautiful but the red oil light stays on and so it 'clips'above an idle. I have replaced the original oil filter which looked clean. I cranked the engine with the filter out and oil did bubble up in the filter chamber. I replaced the filter and pulled the oil pressure sender and fired it for a few seconds. Oil wells up in the drilling but does not have pressure or volume. I have let her idle as long as I dared and she won't start pumping. What do you think?"

"I can always do that... Do y

"I can always do that... Do you know anything about these engines? Here's what I found out this afternoon after work:
If I unscrew the oil filter and put a fitting with a hose on the drilling to the engine bearings, there is fair back pressure if I blow into it. If I hook up the hose to the pump side however, I can blow bubbles in the crankcase oil. Any chance someone has a blowup of the engine I can look at? Funny, but every online link to an owner's manual comes up empty. It sounds like the pump has come apart or there's a high pressure release valve that's come loose. Any help would be appreciated."

"OK. I wasn't looking for

"OK. I wasn't looking for a chat with a lonely guy who doesn't know anything about Nissan outboards on the NISSAN OUTBOARD DISCUSSION BOARD, so maybe there's someone out there who does.

I have been poking around the internet and some people say that Nissan and Tohatsu are the same company, but I did not find anything about their engines either. I'm getting discouraged because it seems that nobody knows anything about them and there's no parts or manuals available. If there's anyone out there who knows anything about them, write back, otherwise I'll be returning this thing on Monday."

Back