Logo

1988 OB302485 90hp Mercury Outboard

schnidly

"Can anyone tell me how to che

"Can anyone tell me how to check my neutral safety switch, my mercury tilt switch, and the safety kill switch on my motor? My motor will not start, it turns over just fine, but will not start??? I want to eliminate these possible culprits. I also know I have to check for spark before I test these switches. What is the best way to check for spark. I dont want to get zapped while holding onto the plug while grounding it on the engine? Im new to alot of this boating stuff. I do have a VOM(volt, ohm, amp meter). If someone could give me directions on where to check Id greatly appreciate it!"

"On the switch box there shoul

"On the switch box there should be a black/yellow wire, remove it, it grounds the ign to prevent spark. The engine should now start, if it doesn't its either the stator, switchbox, or trigger. If the engine starts it won't shut off, choke it to kill or pull the fuel line and wait. Spark can be checked with a timing light on each plug wire while cranking or running. Check the switches with an ohm meter."

"Hi JB,

I disconnected the

"Hi JB,

I disconnected the black wire with the yellow stripe off the switch box. Its actually branched off or spliced into another same color wire going to the mercury tilt switch. I checked the mercury tilt switch by disconnecting the black ground wire on the switch and then tilting the switch by hand and I got a 0 ohm reading when it was tilted and I got very high ohms when I tilted it back into a normal position. So I know the mercury tilt switch is fine. My question is when I checked the black/yellow stripe wire after disconnecting it from the switch box I got 0 ohms to ground no matter what position I had the kill switch toggle in on the console control. So I take it the kill switch is bad?? Is that the main suspect? What would you recommend next to check it? Id have to take apart the console control to get to the switch? Please advise.

Thank you JB"

Back