Logo

High idle quick start or timer base 89 gt150

gunter

"I have a high idle on a gt150

"I have a high idle on a gt150, 1100 rpms idling, I had a problem with firing and have new stator,timer base and rectifier. I returned the base and rectifier tested bad and recieved new parts. The motor is 3 to 4 degress below set point AND still idling high. 1100rpms.I have a dva adapter and meter, what wire is tested for signal to start quickstart? I was told it was black/white stripe wire going to timer base. I am not sure and if is right wire what is the voltage reading and do you use the dva adapter or just measure it to ground? I have ground the white/black wire from pack to temp sensor and made no difference to rpms. Is correct idle 700 to 800rpm??? Any info would be great Thanks Mike."

"They idle high on muffs, in t

"They idle high on muffs, in the water the idle drops to 700 due to load.
If you're using the garden hose your idle is normal.

My 150 idles like crap on the hose, but like a clock in the water."

"the yell/red,on solenoid,star

"the yell/red,on solenoid,starts,quickstart,wht blk,on cyl hd,cancels it..as well as over 106 degress,and 1100 rpm,by throttle."

Thanks I thought that to on th

Thanks I thought that to on the idle on muffs and in water but made no change was about the same either way. I tried to set the time but am about 4 degrees from were it needs to be. Thanks

"On a flushette, the idle shou

"On a flushette, the idle should be on the two different shaft lengths:

20" shaft - 1000 rpm
25" shaft - 1200 rpm

In the water, due to exhaust back pressure, the rpms should drop to the normal idling rpm."

Originally the power pack melt

Originally the power pack melted down and I changed it and the timer base and the rectifier. Now it starts quickly but idle is high. The engine isn't changing when sumerged in the water either is still staying 1100 rpms. The quickstart are you able to see it advance the timing when watching it with a timing light? I have one mechanic saying it is staying in quickstart. The other mechanic says it is never going into quickstart. The timing is about 4 degree below were it should be at idle. Where do I go Next?? The only thing left is the power pack.

"sounds like it is staying IN

"sounds like it is staying IN q-start to me...u can,..see it w a timing lite.get a factory service manual to help u,as there are many steps."

Grounding out the black/white

Grounding out the black/white wire protruding from the cylinder head makes no difference in the rpms?

I'm not sure if this engin

I'm not sure if this engine has quick-start at all?
Does it have 2 cables coming out of the temp switch on the cyl head?
Does it have a yellow/red going into the power-pack?

"Yes it does have 2 wires goin

"Yes it does have 2 wires going into the temp switch black/white and brown has one on other side. I have grounded the white/black going into the pack. When we tried to set the time it was below the set point. Flywheel is painted at 8 degrees. It is setting at about 4 degrees. And idling 1100 rpms. One mech, thought it was idling high because of quickstart, and suggested that because of it never idling down, that the pack was bad because when we grounded the white/black wire it never idled down. The other mech that looked at it said it wasn't going into quick start, He was saying that the black/white wire going into the timer base should have 5 volts on it telling the timer base to go into quickstart. I checked it again yesterday and was getting 2 to 3 volts on this wire momentarily when I 1st cranked the boat. This mech said that it needed a power pack because it wasn't going into quickstart. And I asked him about the timing and us setting it low and it idling 1100 rpm. His reply was the pack was bad and should idle 1050rpm. Somewhere along the way I understand quickstart should idle the motor at 1100 rpms and cutout if it exceeds this. Is this correct? I have checked the yellow/red wire to solenoid and have .03 volt dc on it didn't see that was enough to keep it in quickstart.

Both mech agree the pack is bad and if it is staying in quickstart I agree it is bad cause it won't idle down when the temp switch input is grounded going into pack.

If the other mech is right and it is not going into quickstart then why am I getting a high idle for now? Shouldn't the motor idle about 750? It makes no difference on the flaps or in the water it still idling 1100rpm. I plan on purchasing a power pack I just dont know if it is in quick start or not in quickstart. I hate to change it without being sure but I'm at end of the rope. I ALREADY have had two bad NEW parts the timer base and rectifier so makes me worry about the NEW parts they replaced them with. I know the rectifier working but don't know about the timer base they replaced it with."

Mort it does have yellow/red i

Mort it does have yellow/red into pack and 2 wires on one head and 1 wire on other temp switch

"These two mechanics you speak

"These two mechanics you speak of..... Which one of them would guarantee that replacing the powerpack would cure the problem, and if not, would return the cost of the new powerpack and reinstall your original powerpack at no charge, OR charge a minimal fee for their efforts?"

"There is something 'fishy

"There is something 'fishy' here.
Quick-start is initiated in the PP and not in the timer base.
Disconnect the yellow/red going into Your PP, start the engine.
Does it go 'into quick-start'??
I have a slight feeling someone might have put on components that does not belong to Your engine.
Read off the numbers om PP, look at the corresponding parts at the BRP site. (search advanced on the parts page)"

Thanks jim thats what I was th

Thanks jim thats what I was thinking I Feel like that is a long shot neither one is sure if it is in quickstart or not. Morten I will look up the parts at the site. On cdi electronics site it matches a 89 with my model number prefix.

Morten I had no luck on the br

Morten I had no luck on the brp site. I may of been doing something wrong but got 0 results. May I ask a of the wall question. If a timer base was bad will it cause the fast idle? I thought about putting on the old timer base and trying it again.

And if I remove the yellow/red wire and still get a fast idle what do I do? Is there anything that could be wrong that might cause it not to idle down when submerged in the water? Thanks for any advice. Mike

"Assaid before, the 'quick

"Assaid before, the 'quick' start' is in the power-pack and not the timer base. Try the old base.
I suggest You do all setting/adjustments/synch when the engine is launched and at running conditions. Adjusting on muffs may sometimes give some odd results for those not familiar.
If You still have 'fast idle' when removing the yellow/red BEFORE starting, that indicates You basic adjustments/synch is out, as quick start will not be activated. What might even happen is that You get a higher rpm, as the limiter in the quick start does not work!"

Thanks Morten I will try remov

Thanks Morten I will try removing the yellow/red wire from the starter sol. tomorrow. I got you on the pp being the brain of the quickstart. 2nd mechanic was testing voltage on black/white wire going to timer base saying that pp wasn't sending volts to timer base for quickstart. I rechecked what he was doing and got 2 to 3 volts on this wire to timer base.

I just thought I would ask I had no spark condition when I first changed parts which is solved just trying to solve were the high idle problem came from. But thank you for your help. Funny thing is after all these problems I still haven't talked my wife into letting me get that triton I've been wanting. Oh well.

Back