Logo

Keeping Motor Warm in Winter

david

" Hi All,
I have an idea on k

" Hi All,
I have an idea on keeping my engine warm this winter and want to get your opinion.
I live in Oregon and winter here is fairly mild. I'd like to skip all of the winterization steps and just warm my motor compartment with a space heater, electric blanket, or a heat lamp.
I figure I could just plug in the heating device when the weather is predicted to go below freezing.
Is this a safe idea? Or am I risking damage? "

" David,
I tried the same thi

" David,
I tried the same thing with my two Detroit 6-71's last winter here in New Jersey where I imagine it gets much colder than where you are located. In what is a large engine room, I placed a ceramic heater that kept the area above freezing. In addition I changed my oil and tested the nti-freeze, removed my impellers to prevent set and drained whatever raw water I could. This past spring I fired them right off without a hitch. "

Glad to hear it! I think I&#3

Glad to hear it! I think I'll give it a try. I assume you used ceramic to reduce the risk of fire.

David; Winterizing isn't

David; Winterizing isn't a big deal-trusting an electric heater is risky.Aside from potential fire hazards of lamps and shorted cords; there is the possible loss of power to the appliance due to unexpected power company interuptions and tripped circut breakers.Take the time to change the oil which needs to be done before layup anyway while the oil is still warm from the last trip out.Put fuel stabablizer in the tank on the last run to move it through and into the fuel distribution system.Fill a 5 gallon bucket with antifreeze mix and run a hose from the bucket to the cooling water pickup.Start the engine and run it until you see anti-freeze coming out the exhaust(into another bucket)pour a cup of oil into the carb throat to fog the innards which should stall the motor.Stuff oily rags in the exhaust tips and your done.Simple and safe.

Back