Logo

Starter Problem

ranisbet

"The starter would try to enga

"The starter would try to engage then immediately drop out even with a new car battery.
I was concerned that the drop out might be caused by the battery cables being too small and were dropping the voltage to the starter.
I put a voltmeter on the battery terminals and checked when I tried to start it. The voltage dropped to about 11 V. Pretty much as expected.
I then put the voltmeter leads on the motor's starter motor terminal and ground lug terminal and checked when I tried to start it. The voltage dropped to below 10 V. Not as expected. Had expected about ½ volt less than at battery terminals.
I then put a set of very heavy duty jumper cables in parallel (from battery to starter and battery to ground lug) and know that with those added, the battery was definitely going to deliver enough to turn the starter properly, but it didn’t.

I am concerned because the starter still seemed to not stay engaged, so I removed the starter.

Insides of the starter are good. Just some carbon dust from the brushes and a bit of deposits on the commutator. It also needed a dab of grease for the rear bearing.
Cleaned it and also polished the copper commutators.

I also noticed that the places on the starter that should get a good ground connection were painted (Its the original factory paint). I expect that this could impact starting.
I plan to add a ground wire directly from the motor’s neg. battery terminal to the starter case. Pretty simple item to do.
I will give it another test tonight.
With these simple items, I hope to solve the starting problem. I will let you know tomorrow.
Any thoughts from others about this type problem.
Is it likely I have a starter solenoid problem?
Bob
PEO Aviation
US Army
Redstone Arsenal"

It can't be a solenoid pro

It can't be a solenoid problem. If it isn't the voltage or starter then it's either the bendix on the starter or the engine is frozen up.

Engine will start after many t

Engine will start after many tries of the starter. It runs just fine.
What are the traditional symptoms of a bad Bendix

"Is the starter gear in conjun

"Is the starter gear in conjunction with the spring supposed to lock in place (when engaging the flywheel) temporarily when it engages the flywheel?
My recollection is that when the motor starts, it spins the bendix back down out of engagement. I don't recall whether it is supposed to stay up only as long as the start switch is engaged.

If it is supposed to lock into the up position, can I do a simple test such as removing the starter and trying it (off the engine) and verifying that the gear stays up."

It is designed to disengage on

It is designed to disengage once the flywheel spins fast enough. There is no test for the bendix. Once every other cause has been exhausted its the problem by elimination.

Back