Logo

Transom Cut Out Holes Chrysler 300 Stern Drive

coaster

Regular Contributor
"Have been reading the GLM sit

"Have been reading the GLM site on the history of OMC. The 1986 Cobra had the same transom hole cut as the merc. Smart move. In 1993 Volvo and Omc had a JV. Sx Volvo and Cobra Omc. The hybrid "had the best of both manufactures" hence had the same cut as Merc and the cone clutch. Now we have arrived at my question. Back in the 1970 S' Chrysler was producing the 300 HA & HB series and was installing these,and the Volvo in their boats. Was Chrysler astute enough to match the cut of the Volvo? If not, i wonder why? Also what model Volvo Stern Drive was current in that period and used by Chrysler? The cone clutch used by Volvo and Chrysler are they similar in operation? Chrysler somehow overcame the patent that Volvo had. Chrysler nominate that they have a patented self energizing clutch. Thank you in anticipation. Frederick Pel [ a 300 fan ]"

"Frederick,
No the transom cu

"Frederick,
No the transom cutout is different. Why would Chrysler build their mount to be interchangeable with the Volvo when it was designed to be their shining star and a superior unit. Chrysler used Volvo drives in the following series 200, 250, 270, 270T and 280 ( think that's it if I missed one please let me know folks).

I have a report that the designer of the 300 drive ( John Hurst ) presented to the Automotive group Society of Automotive engineers and he goes into depth on the reasons certain parts were designed certain ways and shows original goal and what they achieved. Excellent read and very enlightening.

Dave"

"Dave, i am very happy with mi

"Dave, i am very happy with mine. Would you be placing the report on your site? I would enjoy reading it. John Hurst, was he the design engineer of the 300? I can never find any back room information on the 300 leg. Brunswick Corp would have destroyed it. Like they did with everything else Chrysler. They purged from history a valuable component of United States ingenuity. I would liken it, to the burning of books by the Nazi. S Freud knew about that. The British tried when they burnt your Library of Congress in 1814. Frederick"

I really can't post it mai

I really can't post it mainly due to the size of the file ( like over 200 meg if I recall ).. Whats neat about the report it shows early concepts they did with the cone and they tried it on existing drives they were using.

David

"David , Thank you for this in

"David , Thank you for this information. I am never happy! Did they actually re-engineer their existing legs or other brand and factory trial the new concepts. I would think that Chrysler used a larger cut. This would have allowed the use of the 300 in boats using existing OMC= Merc, VOLVO .I will have have to go back to first principles and use a tape measure. Frederick"

"LOL, well there is nothing wr

"LOL, well there is nothing wrong with wanting to know as much as possible on a subject... I emailed you directly one of the patent applications for the 300 stern drive which has a lot of technical info in it. While the 300 drive was / is a good drive since it was only produced 4 years the using it as a replacement for a other drive really isn't a good choice, due to availability of units and parts. We have been considering trying to work out a swap where we would manufacturer a adapter plate that would bolt into the 300 opening, and then you would install the new drive. I have a company that I have been looking at their drive.. If it worked out we could offer a complete replacement that would be a bolt in. We just need to decide if it would be a cost effective and if there is a real need for it.

Dave"

Back