Logo

1959 Sea King Fast Slow knobs

dronq

"I just picked up this outboar

"I just picked up this outboard on my way home driving across country. The guy i bought it from took me for a cruise in his pond and it worked great. Now for the funny part... my 3 year old turned the fast knob (lower position) and the slow knob (upper position) both to #1 or all the way to the left. My guess is air/ fuel mix? i took it out on the lake last saturday to play with it and i just couldn't get the right setting. it ran nothing near like it did before, really slow at full throttle and boggy. It was completely rebuilt like brand new. May sound like a dumb newbe question but i have never had an outboard before. Thanks in advance!

Dan"

"(Carburetor Adjustments -

"(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Make sure the air valve is op

"Make sure the air valve is open on your gas tank too. but i've had the same problem and it takes some fidgeting to get it right.
I would attach an electrical cord to the knobs so your kid doesn't touch them again. ha
Good luck on finding the right combination.

This is the best place to find out info on old SeaKing motors. Click on link, then select your brand on the left side. You can find out more about your model at this site. Repair manuals are available at this site too...

http://www.discount-marine-parts.com
http://www.discount-marine-parts.com

Try Evinrude or Johnson parts too! They work with this motor.Don't ask shops for SeaKing parts, they;ll look at you crosseyed. Ask for parts from Evinrude and Johnson that are comparable. You may have to take the part in to get a perfect fit."

Back