Logo

PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE WATER PUMP PROBLEM

cody81403

"Ok here is the deal, please d

"Ok here is the deal, please don't laugh all the local boat shops have. I have a 69 Schiada with a Ford 302 and a holman moody ( volvo penta ) stern drive.
1. we can't seem to find any info about the stern drive based on the numbers that were on it. can anyone tell me where else on the stern drive to look. I would be happy to pass the numbers along to someone if they thought they could find something.
2. We are also having a water pump problem. It is not sucking water through the stern drive if you stick the water pump hose in a bucket of water it will suck fine does anyone have any idea what is going on here, is it stern drive problem or a pump problem ?
Any info that anyone can give me will really help !"

"Could you post a picture of y

"Could you post a picture of your stern drive? I guess you want to identify it to get parts for it.

Regarding the water pump not sucking, if your leg is a 250, 270 or a 280 (or something of the sort) the problem could be the hose connector (GLM part 23010, 23011 or 23020) being choked or perforated.

http://www.glmmarine.com//pdf/volvo_penta.pdf"

"Jeff,
How are you applying

"Jeff,
How are you applying water to the outdrive? If you are running you engine out of water and using "muff" style flushing things, then you may not be covering ALL water inlets properly thereby allowing air in and losing suction. Try submersing the outdrive in a tub of water and put your garden hose in it to keep the water level up. Ensure all inlets are covered with water and then run the engine. My VP DP-A drive has 3 inlets (2 "shark gill" style and 1 small hole forward of the drive keel)."

"WE HAVE TRIED BOTH WAYS, WITH

"WE HAVE TRIED BOTH WAYS, WITH MUFFS AND A BUCKET AND IT DOESN'T SEEM TO WORK BUT IF YOU TAKE THE HOSE OFF THE ENGINE (LEADING TO THE WATER PUMP) AND YOU STICK IT IN THE BUCKET SO THAT THE WATER IS GOING FROM THE BUCKET STRIGHT TO THE WATER PUMP THAT BABY PUMPS! IS THERE A HOSE OR PUMP IN THE STERN DRIVE THAT COULD BE BAD? IS THERE A HOSE IN THE STERN DRIVE? I AM NEW TO BOATS AND TRYING TO DO MY BEST THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS TRIED TO HELP ME I AM NOT GIVING UP YET!"

"TAKE THE HOSE END THAT CONNEC

"TAKE THE HOSE END THAT CONNECTS TO THE WATER PUMP OFF,TAKE AN AIR COMPRESSOR AND BLOW THE LINE OUT. THIS LINE SHOULD LEAD TO THE OUT DRIVE. ALSO CLEAN THE RAW WATER FILTER IF YOU HAVE ONE. AFTER RUNNING THE BOAT SO MUCH THE OUT DRIVE CAN BE CLOGGED FROOM SEA WEED DIRT AND THE white CRUSTY CRAP THAT WILL CLING TO THE HULL OF YOUR BOAT. CHANCES ARE IS THAT FROM THAT HOSE TO THE OPENING OF YOUR OUTDRIVE IT HAS BEEN PLUGGED."

try plugging the inlet at the

try plugging the inlet at the bottom where you would put the muff on [duct tape may work]and pressurize the lower unit from the waterpump back and see if you have a leak causing the pump to suck air

Back