Logo

Water Blowing From Heads

mike77cj

Regular Contributor
"2nd season, 200 hours on a ne

"2nd season, 200 hours on a new 350 Vortec engine. See link below:

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/engines/base/350.htm

Went to start boat tonight and hydrostatic lock occured. Pulled plugs. Water drained from #'s 4,6,1 & 3.

Crankcae oil does not show signs of water. Inspected top of heads (pulled valve covers), no sign of water.

Pulled boat.

Pulled risers (new w/ engine). Appear fine. Pulled manifolds (new w/ engine). Appear fine.

Pulled plugs. Cranked engine. Water (good amount) blew from all cylinders.

Filled cylinders and exhaust ports with Marvel for the night.

Have not done a compression check. Will do tomorrow.

Could I have a PAIR of bad heads? Bad intake manifold? Perhaps a cracked block (ouch).

Engine has not overheated. Oil levels fine.

Engine was running rich due to a faulty power valve on the carb (Holley).

Thoughts? Thanks guys."

intake manifold a good guess w

intake manifold a good guess with the water being on both banks. Pressure test and follow the hissing.
Don't start disassembly before pressure test.

"The fact that water poured ou

"The fact that water poured out of ALL cylinders really had me thinking last night / this morning. This, coupled with the fact the boat has been running rich and has been hard starting got me thinking. The engine cranked over yesterday about five revolutions and then coughed and sputtered. It almost sounded like dieseling when you shut an engine off.

This evening I splapped the manifods and risers back on and fired up the engine with the muffs on. She fired off and idled well. Pulled plugs, no water.

I am thinking the water was pulled 'backwards' into the heads through the exhuast Y-pipe. How this is possible with a flapper in the exhaust bellows, I am not sure. Perhaps the engine flooded, pre-ignited and ran backwards; aka reversion?

I am going to run the engine more tomorrow and see if she stays dry.

Any thoughts on my hypothesis?"

"I also think there is a stron

"I also think there is a strong possibility that the engine ran backwards and sucked the water via the exhaust valves. The flapper in the exhaust bellows is normally not 100% watertight anyway, so that would explain why you got water in all cylinders."

Update: put the boat back in t

Update: put the boat back in the water last night and ran it without issue for two hours. Looks like reversion was the problem. Thanks for the help guys!

Back