Logo

25hp 4 stroke Laboring at High rpms

bay2sav

"I have a 2004 Nissan 25hp 4 s

"I have a 2004 Nissan 25hp 4 stroke model NSF-25A. When I took it out today I got up on plane no problem and was running high rpms when at about 2 minutes, the engine started to labor - almost like a lurching sensation - up and and then down on the rpms. I throttled back to idle and started a again with the same results - about 2 minutes and then laboring. It has repeated each time I've tried to take her out.

Here are some particulars which may help:
1. The engine has sit for a month without starting
2. Last time I used it I pulled the fuel line and ran it dry before I put it on the lift (which I do every time I store it)
3. I've used Stabil religiously throughout this season.

Would appreciate any troubleshooting tips or recommendations. I'm on vacation for a week and the last thing I want to do is put her in the shop!
Thanks,
Denny"

"On a four to five year old en

"On a four to five year old engine it's probably dirty carbs, but take it into a dealer and let them check it out anyway. From now on run it dry each time you are done using it, don't use fuel over a month old and stop throwing your money away on fuel stabilizer....Unless you have built in tanks."

"Thanks for the info - I had t

"Thanks for the info - I had the carbs cleaned early this year b/c I had similiar problems last year. Could this be a sign of a bigger problem (or poor mechanic?)?

I will adhere to your recommendations!
Thanks,
Denny"

"Both. It depends on how the t

"Both. It depends on how the tech cleaned them. If he did a real cleaning, taking them apart and soaking them for hours, probably not his fault. If he sprayed cleaner into them, waste of your time and money. Also keep in mind that a tiny bit of crap can hit your carbs at anytime and screw them up. Take a brand new engine, brand new fuel(with a tiny piece of trash in the fuel) and you will have a brand new engine that will not run or that runs badly."

Back