Logo

85 hp force yearampmodel

dclanegan

"I have a 85 hp force, the tag

"I have a 85 hp force, the tag with the year & serial # is to faded to read.is there any other way to id the year & model?"

"if the motor is original to t

"if the motor is original to the boat, and you have the boat ID number,call them. alot of the force motors came in package. its worth a shot"

"almost positive motor is not

"almost positive motor is not original. there are other holes in transom where a different motor has been mounted.the motor is black with blue letters all it says is Force 85, on the back it says CFI. any other ideas?"

"The 85 Force was quite possib

"The 85 Force was quite possibly the most cobbled together motor ever to come off the assembly line.

It was first built in 1983 with the last models coming off the line in 1989. In that short time span they cranked out 150 distinctly different models (yes 150).

To even hope to determine what you have you are going to have to search on the engine block itself for the model (which will be there somewhere) - it look something like 856F4A (various number/letter combinations after the 85 part).

Even simply knowing what model year it was is of little help in some cases, the 89 model year had well over 40 distinct variations.

Force motors were the remnants of the bankrupt Chrysler outboard division. Bayliner bought the whole shebang in 1984. The 83/84 versions were "Force by Chrysler". Later the had U.S. Marine on them somewhere. In 1986 Bayliner was bought out by Brunswick (who owns Mercury) and they continued to build the Force line until sometime in the 90's.

Merc used that opportunity to get rid of every old/discontinued engine part in any of their inventories. So what you got is a super mongrel motor which is mostly old Chrysler parts, with, depending on the exact model, a few Merc parts that they blew the dust off of and "made fit".

I don't mean to sound overly negative, because they were, for the most part a "good" budget motor - just not the easiest to work on and most parts are extremely expensive compared to other brands. They were designed as a "throw away".

So hunt around under the cover for the model number - it is there somewhere, and then we can figure out exactly what you have...."

"not the first negative I hear

"not the first negative I heard on Force fortunatly I got a good deal on boat and motor and did not buy it for the motor. seems to run good, as is, but need to keep it running for the next couple of years. right now it is under 24 inches of snow. once it melts I will find the # under the hood and go from there."

"The only number I can find on

"The only number I can find on the block is M632125, US marine is also on the engine cover. I am trying to find the right repair manuel for the motor."

"Speaking of 85 Forces, I'

"Speaking of 85 Forces, I've had one for 15 years. Model 856Y8B, 1988 year. Can't say I've had much trouble. . .a choke solenoid, one new impeller, and a relay for the tilt n trim. Plus several props. But my luck may be changing. While winterizing, I noticed water on the lower spark plug, plus it was cleaner than the other two. Noticed the same earlier this summer when I changed plugs, as well as a slight loss of rpm's/power. My understanding is that this probably means a blown head gasket or exhaust cover gasket. If I'm right, can such things still be found, and how much shop time would a replacement run."

"Pete, gaskets are fairly chea

"Pete, gaskets are fairly cheap (usually under 20 bucks and very much available from numerous sources) and any shop will be able to change it in a few minutes - but will probably charge you the standard "1 hour".

Figure on somewhere around 100 bucks to have her fixed up..."

"Thanks for the info, Graham.

"Thanks for the info, Graham. I have found several suppliers. Is the head gasket the only likely source, or are other gaskets exposed to the cooling system? And if I try this myself, do I need a gasket sealing compound as well?"

"Pete, the head gasket is the

"Pete, the head gasket is the most likely source, although the powerhead base gasket can also result in water getting into the cylinders (a little more work to replace, so do the head first). And, no, no compound/gasket seal etc on the head gasket."

i have a force 85hp year1985 m

i have a force 85hp year1985 mod 856x5L #2457 i huck up the battery wrong and the circuit braker tripe reset the braker now the engine jest turn over like it not getting any fire check spark plug even change them stall no start

Back