Logo

KAD42 Temperature Sender threat size

tomiomni

"Hi There,

I have a silvert

"Hi There,

I have a silverton with twin KAD42 Volvo Penta, engines are from 1996.

Today I tried to replace the senders, as I switched to new gauges with US Ohm range senders. Sadly the Sender did not fit well, they sort of were loose. I tried with 3/8" senders.

Any clue which is the original size of senders to be used in Volvo Penta boats?

Thanks for a feedback,
Tomi"

Probably a metric thread. Che

Probably a metric thread. Check the diameter and pitch of one of the original senders to see if it correponds to a metric size.

"Hi,

thanks ... strangely i

"Hi,

thanks ... strangely it does not measure a clear metric reading.its slightly larnger than 1/2" but smaller than 13 mm

Tom"

"Hi Joe,

thanks .. that mig

"Hi Joe,

thanks .. that might be!

The VDO original sender states that no tefon is to be used, the new autometer one states that teflon should be used for sealing.

Anyhow I would like to know what thread it is, at least if we talk metric or inch?

Are tapered thread avaliable also in metric?

Tom"

"Tomi,

Has anyone installed

"Tomi,

Has anyone installed a helicoil? Might be undersized, or SAE to Metric.

BT"

"If it is a taper it should be

"If it is a taper it should be easy to tell by holding the threaded male up against a 12 in straight edge. If it is tapered the line of the straight edge will cross over the center of the male thread.
If they say to use teflon, use enough to make it tight. If it doesn't leak case closed, otherwise use more teflon. Monitor after the install. It's not that much pressure in the system."

"It is UNPTF threads as far a

"It is UNPTF threads as far as I remember.
Stay off the teflon, that is a no-no in oil systems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Hi Morten,

its the water s

"Hi Morten,

its the water system, so I guess the teflon shouldn't harm, I am more worried about the ground connection by having teflon. What do you think?

Tomi"

I think that using teflon tape

I think that using teflon tape to make up for a different size or thread is a bad idea. I also think that using enough teflon tape to attemt to use the wrong size sender will insulate it from ground and it won't work.

Your options are to get the correct size and thread sender or to find on make an adapter for the one you have.

"I was suggesting teflon only

"I was suggesting teflon only to make up the difference between a tapered and non-tapered thread. I think that would be ok. However I do believe you are right about electrical insulation, however it is a quick try it and see if it works. If it doesn't no harm done. The teflon fills spaces between the threads to insure no leaks, Having looked at teflon coming off a fitting that has been in service, the teflon is shredded and I believe electrical contact may have been continuous."

"If the sender is a two-pole &

"If the sender is a two-pole (seperate ground cable) no problem with 'insulation'. If grounded in block, a different story."

""I was suggesting teflon

""I was suggesting teflon only to make up the difference between a tapered and non-tapered thread."

If that's the problem, it shouldn't be hard to find the parts to make an adapter at a plumbing supply house."

Back