Logo

360 breaking up when hot

W

will c

"Hello my lm360 has a problem

"Hello my lm360 has a problem with breaking up, missing, stalling and loss of power but only after I have run for a while with a load. I changed fuel filter/separator, Cap/rotor, coil and resistor, Cleaned car(edelbrock) and still this happens to me after about 20-25 minutes of cruising. But it will idle all day long. After the problem gets bad enough to stall it will start back up but run crappy. But if I let it rest 15-20 minutes its good as new.

Im thinking plugs and wires next? wires look good no burns.
thanks for any help, will"

I had the same exact problem w

I had the same exact problem with my 440----it was the condenser.

I dont think I have a condense

I dont think I have a condenser it all electronic ignition.

I changed the spark plugs today but no change in condition. I did find a cracked one though.

On the way into dock the motor died and I couldnt get it restarted. I had to bring it into my birth single screw! Always fun on a 41' boat.

"Today I tried a known good ig

"Today I tried a known good ignition control box with no change. Are there any parts inside the distributor that could cause this?

thanks, will"

"Interesting find on... I foun

"Interesting find on... I found a large chip/goudge on the exterior of the distributor cap with a hole drilled in it. I checked the port engine and it doesnt have this. I will replace it and re test today or tomorrow.

thanks, will"

"Sorry for the late update, bu

"Sorry for the late update, but I went ahead and replace the distributor cap along with the pick up and in the distributor. Well The problem is now gone! I took it for a cruise yesterday. I know I should have only replaced one part at a time so I know what actually FIXED the problem, but I didnt want to get down there another time time I could avoid it!

than for all the help, will"

"Good for you, and thanks for

"Good for you, and thanks for reporting back to us. More info to keep in mind when it happens to someone else (like me!)

Jeff"

"Just curious, why was there a

"Just curious, why was there a hole drilled in the cap? Seems to me that corrosion can get into that hole and foul up a lot of things. Well, glad it's working man, enjoy your new found smooth running engines"

"Actually, there's vent ho

"Actually, there's vent hole in the cap that's covered with a screen. This hole was, I suspect, smacked thru it by accident?

Jeff"

"I was reading the posts think

"I was reading the posts thinking "cross fire in the distributor cap". Glad to see you found it, Will. Now you have lots of fresh parts on it and know more than you did before!"

Yea I dont know why it took me

Yea I dont know why it took me so long to check the cap But in any case its good now! If only I could find time to take her out!

will

Back