Logo

Black smoke

W

wej55

I just put together a 350 long

I just put together a 350 long block. Carburated w/ electronic ign.Today after we installed it we timed it and took it for a ride. We got a lot of black smoke and it ran rough. Could this be a problem in the carb or the timing ?

"Sounds like carb.
It may be

"Sounds like carb.
It may be flooding, or the float is too high, or maybe the choke is not opening fully.

Rod"

"Black smoke is from a rich co

"Black smoke is from a rich condition. The choke should be fully open after warm up and you should not see any gasoline flowing into the carburetor throat when the engine is idling. In addition, check the firing order to be sure it is correct. Check inside of the distributor cap for any cracks or arcing. Is the engine running on all cylinders? Using plastic pliers, disconnect one spark plug wire at a time while the engine is running...each cylinder should cause a significant rpm drop and all cylinders should give the same results. The next step would be a compression test"

Thanks. I will be at it in the

Thanks. I will be at it in the am. I will let you know on Sunday how we made out. Thanks again.

"Good news / BAD news. The goo

"Good news / BAD news. The good news is that the choke was stuck. The bad news is after a test cruise we were heading in about 1000-1200 rpm and the motor, after making a lot of banging sounds seized up. We removed the motor and took the accessories off. The crank will turn 3/4 around and clunk, it stops. Also antifreeze in the oil. Ship happens I guess. Thanks again for the advise."

OH $hit...
Stick a long block

OH $hit...
Stick a long block in there.
Good luck with the rebuild/replacement.

Yikes; that's enough to sp

Yikes; that's enough to spoil your day.
Sounds like a rod let go.
Hope you get her replaced and up and running.

Rod

Hydrolocked possibly? Anitfree

Hydrolocked possibly? Anitfreeze in the oil maybe antifreeze in the cylinders too? You should be able to get a long block from a rebuilder for a couple thousand dollars with a limited warranty. Good luck.

Back