Logo

Tohatsu 35a impellercooling question

B

blair hamilton

"good day. i have a 2005 or 2

"good day. i have a 2005 or 2006 3.5a (forward speed only) tohatsu that i've got a cooling/impeller problem. after running the motor for approximately 15-20 minutes, it stalls/seizes up. i can't even rotate the prop or pull the start cord for 5 or so minutes. once it starts to rotate, it will start, but die after 20-30 seconds.

i recently noticed that there is no water coming from the pee tube during operation. i've torn the lower shaft apart, including removing the plates that cover the impeller, but can't see a problem with it.

is there a way to test if the impeller is sending h20 up through the motor, such as blowing air from top to bottom or vice versa? the impeller is not torn, missing any legs and spins when i turn the propeller, but can't seem to see any issues with it. i also noticed that the gear oil level was very low; could this be a problem for no water from the tube or causing the prop/shaft to lock when hot?

any assistance is greatly appreciated."

"You can take the lower unit o

"You can take the lower unit off and stick it in a tub of water. Next attach a drill to the drive shaft and let her rip. If you don't get any water out of the lower unit then you have a blockage, bad impeller or the impeller cup is tore up. If you do get water then you have cooked your powerhead. Remove the the headgasket and inspect for damage/blockages to the block. If you do not see anything wrong, replace the headgasket and try running it again. If it still gets hot, let a pro have a look at it."

Back