Logo

Using my existing engines for LP or Natural gas

G

gastite

"Is there any kits?
Is there

"Is there any kits?
Is there any boats being sold that run on LP or Natural gas.

If its going to cost me $10-$15k to change my engines someday I rather
Go with LP or Natural gas and do my part. I am also looking at Electric,
only if I can use my existing Engines."

"No sure there are MARINE conv

"No sure there are MARINE conversions, but getting and storing natural gas or propane in a boat is always a challenge. The gas mileage (actually the dollars per mile) may not be much better--we heat the house with propane and it's gone WAY up in price.

Jeff"

"Never seen any. try contactin

"Never seen any. try contacting these guys...maybe they'll "sponsor" you if you're serious.

http://poweredbypropane.net/index.html

I've never seen any conversion kits targeting the marine application base.

Never seen any LP/CNG powered vessels.

Logistically, bet there isn't any support yet...
would give new meaning to "fuel dock" and "fuel tank" though."

"gasoline on a boat is scary e

"gasoline on a boat is scary enough to manage but, PROPANE!?!?!? Never in a million years would I..."

"while checking on some other

"while checking on some other items, i came across 46 CFR 182.405, entitled Fuel Restrictions.

The synopsis - unless a boat uses gasoline or diesel, the USCG will review it on a case-by-case basis....equates to don't expect to see an alternative fueled boat produced commercially."

"I can't imagine how much

"I can't imagine how much a corrosion resistant 200 gallon pressure fuel vessel would cost for my boat. For natural gas, it gets worse, either huge or cryo. If it gets to that, think sail.."

"I think you hit the nail on t

"I think you hit the nail on the head, Dave. after pondering the thought, assuming one could get some setup working, imagine the headaches trying to get a fill up. Worse yet, imagine not having a trailer and trying to fill up at a marina..."

Back