Logo

2007 98 Wonbt idle Runs rough Then clears up

R

Rob Bryan

"Twenty hours on 9.8. After si

"Twenty hours on 9.8. After sitting for days/weeks tilted all the way up, will start but very rough - must use choke and/or manual throttle at 3/4 or more to keep running. All other times when this happened it would clear up while running after 20 minutes or so - but immediately as if something corrected itself.
Today, after numerous starts, new gas, on/off, on/off it will not idle or run smoothly. Please help!"

Do you disconnect the fuel lin

Do you disconnect the fuel line from the engine after every use and then run the engine in neutral until it runs itself out of gas?

I was doing that at first but

I was doing that at first but it didn't seem to make a differnce so I tried leaving it on also.

Chances are you have a contami

Chances are you have a contaminated carburetor. Lighter elements of the fuel evaporate and leave a residue that restricts the ports. Have it cleaned at a dealer and you should be fine.

Should I always disconnect the

Should I always disconnect the fuel line from the engine after every use and run the engine in neutral until it runs itself out of gas? Is there any over-the-counter carb cleaner that might work?

"Also, is it ok to "store&

"Also, is it ok to "store" it tilted up as far as it will go(only way to get it out of the water on my sailboat)? Should I turn it to one side or the other?
Thanks for all your help!"

"Rob,

I have been going thr

"Rob,

I have been going through this too and watching your thread. I have been following TG's advise with a couple changes. I added a second fuel filter on the fuel tank. Went from a 6-gal tank to a 3 gal one so as to NOT store the larger amount of fuel enabling to fill up in 4 to 6 weeks. With my 5 HP Nissan I can not use six gallons in one season. I have been running the gas out by disconnecting the fuel line too. I also use the Lucas Oil brand stabilizer. So far I'm getting along just fine. Secret I found was to get the carb completely cleaned. I paid the professional to do it as they soak the whole carb in a cleaning solution.My thought is that these carbs are so small that just a little debris clogs them and the gas is crappy too. We pay the highest dollar and are getting lousy gas. Go figure."

""Should I always disconne

""Should I always disconnect the fuel line from the engine after every use and run the engine in neutral until it runs itself out of gas?"

Yes

"Is there any over-the-counter carb cleaner that might work?"

To solve a problem....No. To prevent a problem....Yes.

"Also, is it ok to "store" it tilted up as far as it will go(only way to get it out of the water on my sailboat)?"

Shouldn't hurt anything since you are going to be running the fuel out first.

"Should I turn it to one side or the other?"

No difference...But, I would turn it so the tiller handle side is down."

I just got back from my sailbo

I just got back from my sailboat. I have not run my 5 HP Nissan since almost 2 weeks now. Here is my procedure.......
Plug in the fuel line
Tip the motor in the down position
Pull out the choke
Turn the throttle past the start position
Squeeze the bulb until the fuel line is tight.
Make sure shift lever is in neutral
Pull out the starter rope slowly three times.
Then pull hard to start.
Bam!! engine starts right up
Engine runs fast with choke out
I let it run for a while then slowly push in choke in.
I let it run at fast idle to warm about three minuets.
Then turn the throttle down to low speed and everything is normal.

SO VEWRY HAPPY WITH THIS FORUM AND TOHATSU GURU.
Thank You to both !!

I have been told by a relatively New Nissan dealer in Grand Rapids Ohio that these Nissan / Tohatsu motors are great almost bullet proof motors and I'm now getting my confidence back in them. Hope you can too.

"I originally started this thr

"I originally started this thread ("2007 9.8 won't idle..." October) and now months later and numerous attempts to fix this problem, I am still very frustrated and unhappy with my choice of a Tohatsu motor. This motor was a major purchase for me (remote,elect.,LS) and I researched for half a year and settled on it because of its (supposed) reliability as well as size/weight (it is mounted in a well on a sailboat). I am so freakin' pissed off, I think Tohatsu should come and uninstall it from my boat, fix it or replace it, and re-install
angry.gif
BTW Bullshit about carberator clogging problems! If they can't make a motor that will run on this crappy gas then don't trick me into buying one. I have tried every chemical out there, and have now missed the best and last of the sailing season
snow.gif
- I will never trust this motor again
thumbs_down.gif
!

Okay, I am usually a very patient and forgiving man - maybe I just needed to vent (whine!
sad.gif
) for a minute! Thanks for reading.

BUT, I know that I will have to remove the motor (pain in the ass), take it to the dealer where I bought it and pay them another $200 plus to clean carb and winterize.
If anyone has had a similar experience and dealt with Tohatsu directly, please respond - should I waste more time complaining directly to them?
Thanks again,
Rob"

"""Twenty hours on 9.8

"""Twenty hours on 9.8. After sitting for days/weeks tilted all the way up, will start but very rough - must use choke and/or manual throttle at 3/4 or more to keep running. All other times when this happened it would clear up while running after 20 minutes or so - but immediately as if something corrected itself. ""

Rob.

Curious,,,Have you by chance put in fresh spark plugs since the 20 hours of use? If not try them and be sure the gap is set correct. I think we all have had experiences where we just change out the plugs with much sucess. I have even found a new plug out of the box to have issues too. I use the NGK brand as this was what was in my motor to begin with. Good Luck. I feel your pain up here on western Lake Erie."

"I wouldn't waste my time

"I wouldn't waste my time complaining to any outboard manufacturer about a dirty carburetor as they will simply tell you it's your fault...Probably in a diplomatic way, but, in the end they will tell you that modern outboards take less consumer abuse( in the fuel system department) than engines from as little as three years ago. Any three star rated, small outboard, requires carburetor draining/running the fuel out of it when you are done using it, using fuel less than one month old and using only clean fuel to start off with. Venting about what happens if you don't do those three things may make you feel better, however, the solution is right in front of you."

I have 2007 9.8hp Tohatsu remo

I have 2007 9.8hp Tohatsu remote elec LS which let me down again yesterday as usual in the breakwater of the crowded Berkeley Marina. Not funny.

Thanks TH I will follow your advice. However I need my motor serviced and carburetor cleaned by a motor shop. How do I disconnect the electric remote control properly from the motor to take the motor to the shop.

"Guru,
As I stated in the beg

"Guru,
As I stated in the beginning of this thread, I followed the manual precisely and always drained/ran out the fuel and used fresh fuel. I only tried it the other way once(leaving it hooked up overnight) thinking maybe it had something to do with propping the motor up high when not in use
light_bulb.gif

The plugs "look" fine - is it possible they are bad?

Motor starts everytime but will only run at med to high throttle (although a little rough like it is missing). It stalls immediately if I lower throttle and/or don't activate electric choke (pushing key).

Does this still sound like a fuel problem
warning.gif
?

Once I get this fixed, is there any benefit to adding extra fuel filtration? Dealer also reccommends using Startron Fuel Treatment w/Enzymes (which I am using).

Anyway, I am out of hope and will be pulling motor off soon and taking it in to Washington Marina in DC.
Would I void the warranty if I cleaned the carb myself or should I just let them do it this time to be sure that is the problem?
Thanks everybody for your help
happy.gif
!
Rob"

"It still sounds like a fuel p

"It still sounds like a fuel problem, but, virtually anything can cause the running rough symptom. Fuel system issues have always been associated with outboards. Up until the 90's many engines had points and condenser ignition systems and people rountinely brought their engines in once per year for a "tune-up". Tune-ups almost always included carb cleaning so most people got them cleaned before they noticed a problem. Modern engines do not need tune-ups so the yearly maintenance cycle has disappeared. Today people repair when a problem occurs rather than catching it before it happens. So we wind up with a short term saving and a long term degradation to the engine....You can't win against fuel issues. You can only increase the service interval between a real problem by doing what I outlined previously. Even then it's still going to creep up and ruin your day occaionally.

As to adding another filter, it won't hurt and will probably help to some degree with foreign matter. I strongly believe in NOT adding anything to fuel to preserve it as I believe that fuel should never be used if it is over 30 days old. That's an opinion that many do not agree with. Tohatsu's official position is to use a fuel stabilizer. They are wrong
But, I will admit that in some situations it may be necessary. In the U.S., with a small portable tank, their is no excuse to use old fuel. Put it in your car, or have a ritualistic bonfire, but get rid of it. Tohatsu likes Stabil and I have never heard anything bad about it. I have heard some negative stuff about Startron so beware.

Cleaning the carburetor yourself is fine and will not void your warranty unless you screw something up. I don't see how you could damage the engine as the engine won't run if you put the carb back together wrong. Keep in mind though that cleaning a carb involves taking it completely apart and soaking it in a carb cleaning solution. The spray stuff in the can is pretty much useless to fix a problem. However, spraying a few jolts once a month as a PREVENTIVE is a spiffy idea."

"Bob, many small outboards...a

"Bob, many small outboards...all makes can't tolerate the slightest amount of water in the fuel. The idle circuit is so small that a drop of water will sit there and prevent proper low rpm running. I would try just blowing out the primary and secondary jets with compressed air and reasemble...before going to crazy..the motor is to new for major carb work."

Back