Logo

Marine Starter vs Auto Starter

kb2033

"I recently had a problem with

"I recently had a problem with my 2006 5.0 GL Volvo Engine. I had an auto/marine mechanic come out to the boat and he diagnosed a starter problem. He put in an auto starter telling me there was no difference in marine vs. auto starters. Not knowing the difference I said OK. He then said there were more problems and the engine was still making a funny noise. I decided to pull boat out of the water and I took it to a volvo certified mechanic. He took the engine cover off cleaned everything out and the engine worked fine. He did say that, although it probably wouldn't be a problem, I really should have a marine starter because they are manufactured in a way to eliminate the chance for explosion via sparking where auto starters are not.

He was not trying to sell me but to be safe I had him replace the auto starter the marine version. When I told my other mechanic about the marine starter vs. auto starter differences he wanted to argue that there is no difference and that I was being lied.

Any one have any insight?"

"Two bits of advice: 1) In

"Two bits of advice: 1) Install <u>immediately</u> a marine starter if you value your safety; and 2) Consider dealing in the future with a mechanic who understands that, unlike an automotive starter, a marine starter is sealed (intrinsically safe) in order to prevent an explosion of flammable gases or gasoline vapours that may exist in the bilges. Same applies to alternators and other marine equipment (blowers, etc).

IMO, that "marine mechanic" of yours gave you some very dangerous advice. If you don't believe me, just call the USCG or your insurance company and see what they tell you...."

"I'm not the USCG, but I&#

"I'm not the USCG, but I've held a USCG Captains License (Near Coastal Master, 50 Tons) since 1986. What they hammered into us in the prep course for the license was the importance of only using USCG approved parts ESPECIALLY starters and alternators! In my opinion, your first mechanic is an idiot, and a dangerous one at that. We all make mistakes at times and when corrected we should take it as a learning experience, and not make baseless accusations about others to cover up our own ignorance."

Thanks for the feedback. I al

Thanks for the feedback. I also contacted the Coast Guard who also confirmed a marine starter is a necessity. I'm glad I had the volvo mechanic put in the marine variety.

You can tell alot about a person whether or not they are willing to admit they made a mistake.

"classic case of an auto mecha

"classic case of an auto mechanic trying to work on boats with no marine training. there are a lot of those guys. most have been chased out of the auto industry. If they were a good auto mechanic, they'd be so busy fixing cars they wouldn't have time to work on boats...."

Back