Logo

Honda BF8a

K

Kendall Nasi

"Motor will not idle with chok

"Motor will not idle with choke pushed all the way in, motor dies. Runs at half choke."

"Fuel today, if left sitting i

"Fuel today, if left sitting in the carburetor too long will plug up the small jets in the carburetor.So clean the carburetor (take it apart to do so ) and run the fuel out if you do not use it regularly."

Cleaned carb and stil the same

Cleaned carb and stil the same thing. With choke pushed in if I don't rev the throttle the motor dies.

"I had that same problem with

"I had that same problem with my BF75, an earlier version of the same engine. I ended up taking my carb apart FOUR times before finding the blockage. Running carb cleaner thru it is NOT enough. The blockage is in the idle circuit, which is a seperate (winding and twisting!) carb circuit than the main one. There is a fixed, not removeable metering jet in that carb (at least in mine) that has a very tiny hole that does not respond to the usual soak and blow cleaning. I ended up cleaning it up with a 30AWG copper wire, i.e., a single strand from a multi strand copper wire.
A can of "canned air" available from Staples or RAdio Shack with the plastic straw extension affixed is a handy tool as well. This is to be used in addition to the wire, not instead of."

I had a same problem with my 9

I had a same problem with my 9.9 - I used plenty of stabilizer and the blue stuff - that is Starbrite startron gasoline additive. Plus I purchased some new gas with cleaner in it. I then installed a fuel water separator and filter. Then cleaned the carb. I have had no issues since I have been doing this. Also at end of season use the old gas in your truck. Start the season with new gas and treat.

Back