Logo

Problems wb98 50hp Mercury Boat Motor 4 stroke

judi

"As of the past three weeks, I

"As of the past three weeks, I have been having problems w/my boat motor. When going slow or idling/sitting, the motor alarm goes off. I usually just put in neutral and shut off or sometimes it shuts itself off. No one can seem to figure out what is the cause. Some suggest theromast (?). Overloading (?). Spark plugs are new & oil intact. When traveling reg. speed, it runs just fine. No problems w/it starting except after shutting down when alarms goes off - takes maybe two to three times to start back. I would really appreciate any help. I do not want to cause additional damage to the motor. Thanks in advance! Happy & safe boating!"

"Hey Judi.
From what u descri

"Hey Judi.
From what u describe here it sounds to me like you have a low speed overheating problem, these engines should have a strong tell tail, if not then make sure it and the hoses are clear (sand etc) if it is clear you would take a look at the water pump (they should be done every 12mths). When checking the pump take a look at the plastic driveshaft seal carrier under the base plate (it may appear melted around the top), it is common for these to exert pressure upward on the plate when damaged, this will cause your new impeller to fail prematurely.
It is also possible that you may have a low oil pressure situation or bad switch.
A fresh water pump is a good place to start and then we can take it from there.

Regards Spanaman"

"Hey, thanks so very much!! I

"Hey, thanks so very much!! I will ck all that you mentioned. I will let you know how it turns out - either way! Again, I appreciate your response. I am not much into the running part only the tanning part!! LOL LOL LOL Again, thanks! Judi"

"Follow up: Boat came out of t

"Follow up: Boat came out of the water this week. I will try my best to explain but bear in mind I am no mechanic. It seems that a gasket in/on the water pump needed to be replaced b/c it was letting air in when in low speed. Also, something that needs to be done every yr or two is going to be done - what, I do not know. I should have it back in the water this weekend or next and I will let you know how it goes. Again, thanks so very much for your help. The mechanic ck'd everything you described and appreciated the help. HAPPY & SAFE boating!!! Judi"

Back