Logo

Timer Base

jamiel

"Just have one question about

"Just have one question about the movement of the timer base. In the pic below , does the part that pull the timer base to the high speed knob suppose to move exactly when the lower part that is attached to the throttle when it is put into gear and set wide open . I am asking so that I can know before I pull the flywheel to clean the timer base ? Cant really feel any place in the movement of the timerbase by hand that would suggest that it sticking . but it just will not go all the way to the knob when wide open .
219776.jpg
"

"That vertical throttle lever.

"That vertical throttle lever....... the top of it should move immediately when the bottom part of it is moved by the throttle cable.

The vertical throttle lever moves as a unit until the timer base hits the "Full Spark Advance Stop" (it is not called a "High Speed Knob"). After hitting the full spark advance stop, that's when the top portion of the vertical lever stops and the lower portion starts to move to open the carburetor throttle butterflies.

Hopefully that full spark advance stop is set properly (full spark advance timing)."

"On my engine it does not move

"On my engine it does not move imediatley with the bottom part which is connected to the throttle cable . Recently I found that the threads wer stiped and I put a heli coil in to get it back tight. So do you think this could be the cause of the timer base not being pulled all the way to the "Full Spark advance Stop" Thanks for correcting me
Also can you see the key in the flywheel after remoing the nut?"

"After removing the flywheel n

"After removing the flywheel nut, you can see the keyway but not the actual key until the flywheel is removed.

The vertical throttle lever must move as a unit when the throttle is increased. If it does not, running that scenario thru my mind..... the spring is either broke or not positioned properly."

I thought the same thing . I r

I thought the same thing . I really do not want to take the flywheel off. I worked with it today and sprayed wd40 on the spring and it worked well. I'm almost sure that It will not work right in the lake . Will see tomorrow. Thanks for the help

The two portions of that verti

The two portions of that vertical throttle lever should not be able to bind in the slightest. Having to spray WD-40 on that spring shouldn't be needed. I'd suggest that you dismantle that vertical lever to find the real problem.

Back