Logo

Toss the vro go with regular fuel pump

fishn_fool

"I want to remove the vro and

"I want to remove the vro and install a regular fuel pump on my 1990 100 hp, but can not seem to find the info. needed to order the pump. Anybody have any ideas"

"(VRO Changeover Judgement

"(VRO Changeover Judgement Call)
(J. Reeves)

The VROs first came out in 1984 and have been upgraded quite a few times. In my opinion, back around 1988, they had perfected them but I think that they were upgraded even more since then. As long as the warning system is operating as it should, I feel quite at ease with them.

Some boaters have voiced their thoughts such as "What if that overpriced plastic horn should fail while I'm under way for some reason, and the VRO decides to fail five minutes later?" Obviously that would result in a big problem which really brings their fears into view.

The word "ease" is the key word though. If one has the slightest feeling of being ill at ease with that setup, then they should take the route they feel more at ease with. A judgement call each individual would need to make on their own.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)
(J. Reeves)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off."

I had my VRO pump disconnected

I had my VRO pump disconnected for awhile and motor run crappy it seem to carbon up alot (I do a lot of trolling) I hook it back up and started using ring free it runs 100% better and a lot less hassle having to premix

"Trying to bypass the VRO on a

"Trying to bypass the VRO on a friends '95 Evinrude 70. He didn't want to cut the oil line so we disconnected the line from the engine to the oil bulb at the bulb and plugged it. Any problems with doing that? Also the wires from the back of the VRO, are there 4: yellow, purple, gray and black? We've got the sensor wires from the oil tank disconnected, premixed the fuel and ran it through the lines. Just wanted to make sure everything is good to go before he takes it out."

"I have a Evinrude VRO 225 V6

"I have a Evinrude VRO 225 V6 model E225TXESS that I belive is a 1990. I had this new and was a salt water user, I now have her in fresh water lake use. I'm having a big oil usage problem using about 1 gal of oil to 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas. I do have a 70 gal tank and have never used this much oil I previously got 1 1/2 gas to a resavor of oil. Also I'm blowing excessive blue smoke from start up and continous thru out ride. I just changed plugs "gap @ 30" and wires, & new fuel filter Which I thought was weired that the original filter's arrow was pointed towards the fuel seperator. I installed the new filter in the same manner. The engine runs pretty smooth " except the smoke" up to about 4700 rpm between 4700 & 5300 rpm she acts up a bit like she is starving for fuel and a bit of hesitation accurs the same happens on quick turn & sharp turns. The fuel ball on the tank side of the fuel /water seperator will not stay full and when priming ball I can see the fuel being forced thru the fuel filter. Can anyone HELP?"

Back