Logo

1995 115 Mariner 4 cyl

fhp6

"The engine will turn over fin

"The engine will turn over fine, I am getting fuel but no spark. I disconnected the engine wiring harness from the boat then removed the blk/yellow wire(kill switch) from the switch box. Engine fires normally. Mechanic said it was power pack/switch box. He put a new switch box on, no spark. He said it might be the rectifier. Tried that, no luck. Anyone had a similar problem? Suggesions?
Thank you,
Mike"

"if you removed the black/yell

"if you removed the black/yellow and the engine started that means the key switch, dead man switch, or the wiring harness is bad."

"When I removed the blk/yel wi

"When I removed the blk/yel wire, the engine harness was disconnected from the boat. I did not actually start the engine just checked for spark, which was fine. I think that would eliminate the kill switch as being bad. How would I determine if the engine wiring harness is bad?"

"get the ohm meter out and sta

"get the ohm meter out and start checking your switches, one end on ground and the other on the switch, activate switch, should be 0 ohms or open. disconect battery for safty and get a new mechanic. the first test should have been to disconect b/y wire before changing high $ parts. from what you say its a switch"

"He checked for spark before h

"He checked for spark before he disconnnected the wiring harness, no spark. He then disconnected the wiring harness, turned the engine with a remote starter switch, no spark. He then unplugged the wiring harness from the boat, removed the b/y wire and there was spark. As soon as he got a spark with the b/y wire disconnected, he said it was the switch box. He put a new box on and still had no spark with the b/y wired re-connected. He said he thought it might be the rectifer but hasn't tried that yet."

"ok my bad, if it has a short

"ok my bad, if it has a short harness only for the motor look at the plug ends for corrosion. also check and see if it has the mercury tilt switch that grounds out the ignition when the engine is tilted. I don't know that model so its just guess work, but let me know,good luck"

I checked the wiring harness a

I checked the wiring harness and it looks new. I have never had the boat in salt water and have always kept it in covered dry storage so engine and boat look new. I have started it in the tilted position so I don't believe this one has a tilt kill switch. I will let you know if the rectifier takes care of the problem.

"latest on the 115 Mariner. It

"latest on the 115 Mariner. It took a month for the mechanic to put a rectifier on the engine. It now has spark. As he said before he repeated to me that the recitifier was the problem. When I removed the engine cowl to check his work, I noticed the black/yellow wire at the engine harness unplugged. Thinking he had overlooked connecting the wire I connected it (plugged the wire together) and tried to start the engine. Would not start. I unplugged the b/y wire and it runs. I asked him about the wire and he explained that it goes to a "tilt safety switch" (if engine tilts more than 90*) on the engine that is located underneath the power head. Seems odd to me that if the rectifier was the problem, why does the b/y wire now have to be disconnected for the engine to fire? (It ran fine with the wire connected before he replaced the rectifier.) He said to replace the tilt safety switch basically requires removing the power head. Can anyone tell me where this phantom "tilt safety switch" is located? I have looked in the service manual and cannot seem to locate any such item. Maybe I have overlooked this tilt safety switch."

Back