Logo

Help identifying motor

indyrob

"I recently purchased, what I

"I recently purchased, what I believe to be, a Mercury 110 9.8HP motor. I can't find a serial number on it anywhere. I see the raised lettering that reads "Ser No." but the number itself is not there.

Is there any other way to identify this thing? It is black with yellow, red and orange trim decals.

I also seem to have an issue getting it up to speed. Felt like it was running at half speed the whole time. I don't know anything about motors, and even less about outboards. I was on a lake with a 10hp max, and people running circles around me."

"There is a serial number stam

"There is a serial number stamped into a welsh plug (silver disk about the size of a quarter). It is located on the waterjacket almost smack in the middle between the two cylinders about 4 or 5 inches forward of the back of the motor (where the spark plugs stick out).

I will post a pic below from a smaller motor, but will give you an idea of what/where to look. It could be on either side of the powerhead.

As to guys running circles around you. Could be an issue with the motor or totally normal.

The speed at which the motor pushes the boat is affected by many factors - the total weight being the greatest factor.

A 9.8 hangin on say a 14 foot aluminum with one person on board may get up to 20 mph wide open. The exact same motor with 2 on board of a 14 foot fiberglass may only make 12 mph.

With any motor "new to you" you should do a compression check (about 100 psi on these little motors give or take a bit), good spark at both plugs and a clean fuel system will let it run as best as it can.....

219688.jpg
"

Back