Logo

DRAIN PLUGS ON MERC 43

D

Dennis Self

"My dad always said the only s

"My dad always said the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
Can't for the life of me figure out what size torx or star bit I need to use to get the brass plugs out. I tried a T45 torx, too big, T40 too small, can't seem to find any sizes in between. Could it be metric??
I can't believe such a simple thing has got me stumped. Would appreciate any help."

"Plugs on the block. They appe

"Plugs on the block. They appear to be torx, not like a bolt, kind of like a hex, star shaped inset at the top of the plug"

"Thanks doc, I'll give met

"Thanks doc, I'll give metric allen a try, again 1/4" too small, 5/16 too big. Appreciate your help."

"Dennis;
Is this a fairly new

"Dennis;
Is this a fairly new 4.3?
I can't believe they would use a metric fastener on a domestic marine engine, but who knows? Maybe thats how GM are shipping them now.
My 2007 has blue plastic finger tighten plugs in all 7 drains, and I thought that was what they were still using.

These are for sure the drain plugs, right? Down low on the block sides, about midway along and just above the oilpan flange?
What do the manifold drain plugs look like?
It is raw water cooled, right?

Rod"

Dennis they are allen wrenches

Dennis they are allen wrenches required even though they look like torx. Its just so you have more positons to engage the allen wrench. Took me awhile to fiqure that one out too!

Back