Logo

Merc 115 spark wires

"Hi Noel,I have been reading t

"Hi Noel,I have been reading the Seloc book alot and I think there is alot to check out before I buy a switch box.I have been jumping around from one thing to another on this because I didn't really didn't have an understanding on how this type of ignition works.I am going to start at the begining (the battery) go thru the wiring harness and try to find out where the voltage stops. Thanks to you and Graham for your input.

Dan"

"Hi Noel, It looks like I migh

"Hi Noel, It looks like I might have A problem in the wiring harness. Do you know what type and gauge wire I should use to repair it.

Thanks Dan"

"Hi Daniel,I assume it's t

"Hi Daniel,I assume it's the internal harness and not the control box harness we're talking about.I would use marine grade wire,between 8 or 10 gauge as it has heavy amps to carry,I'm open to correction here,as this side of the Atlantic we measure in metric.Ask at the shop or take a sample along or remove the loom and take it with you and measure up.
But before you do any of this make sure all the terminals are sound,cleaned and tight.Do a continuity test where you think there might be a problem,and, just in case it's the harness from the control box,in this case I would buy a replacement, believe me it's easier on the brain.That's a t shirt I've had the misfortune to wear
sad.gif
"

"Hi Noel, I'm not sure whi

"Hi Noel, I'm not sure which harness it is, they both have been opened and taped up. It's been to cold to work on it lately, so I have a while to look for a good harness or try to locate new ones.
That surplus website is very good, thank you.

Dan"

"Dan,

You should be able to

"Dan,

You should be able to identify which harness here.

If you would like to post your engine serial number I can check it for you."

"Sorry Andrew ,Been through yo

"Sorry Andrew ,Been through your stuff and didn't see it.Time I went to specsavers,specticals required,"

"Hi Andrew, I found both inter

"Hi Andrew, I found both internal and control box harnesses on the C.D.I. web site. They are both cheap enough that I might just replace them both, depending how I make out when I ring out each harness. Thanks for the info.

Dan"

Back