Logo

72 50hp where does water exit

M

mikemartin

"Hi, I have a 72 50hp johnson.

"Hi, I have a 72 50hp johnson. I can't see any water coming out of the motor when I run it. Idon't see any holes for it to come out of. It doesn't seem to to get overheated Does it come out somewhere else? It's sat for 2 yrs only had it out once before that so don't know that much about it.Also bogs down down when I accelerate and dies a trolling speed. It's probaly a carb issue.Thanks for any help and input. I just found this site and really enjoy it."

"Older OMC's didn't ha

"Older OMC's didn't have tell-tales. The water exits "thru the prop." There are usually two vents at the rear below the powerhead where only some water comes out on occasion. That said, I usually replaced the waterpump regularly (every two years) because the only other clue you had that there was a problem was when the powerhead was going from "medium rare to well done." You can supposedly add the telltale, but it involves the sacry prospect of drilling a hole into a water galley. I would take my chances without one!"

I ran the motor on the muffs f

I ran the motor on the muffs for 5 min there was some water shooting from the prop but the power head was too hot too touch.So I'll be putting in a new pump and carb kit before I take it out again. Thanks again.

"If you have never done the im

"If you have never done the impeller before, I find it to be a PIA. The only way I avoid most cussing is to use a wide cable tie, and put it around the impeller. I bend the vanes in the way they are supposed to be bent, and tighten the tie. I work the housing over the "retained" impeller, leaving just enough room to snip the tie and remove it. I find this works much easier for me, and I don't have issues with the pump liner moving around the other way. The only thing is you need to be careful that you don't cut the impeller in the process. Good luck!"

"Thanks sleeper, new at this s

"Thanks sleeper, new at this so any helpful tips greatly appreciated. After reading the posts here and getting a manual from the library I feel a lot better about doing this myself.Going to add a tach also. Thanks again."

umm. i just took off my water

umm. i just took off my water pump and put it back together..to see if it worked i span the prop slowly and i was wondering if it is suppost to be hard to spin when in gear...in nuetral its easy!

Back