Logo

Nissan 5B ignition part names

C

chabear

I'm working on a 5B a frie

I'm working on a 5B a friend gave me.what is the name of the part under the flywheel that has two wires leading to the coil? an where to find one?
it's pretty rusty..any chance a good sanding might
be worth a shot?..

"well the big thing that rusts

"well the big thing that rusts is called a charge coil or exicter coil unless its really nasty sanding wont do much you can get at any tohatsu dealer if your a point and clicker type internetoutboards.com

the other components are call the little black thing off to the side of the flywheel pulser coil, the black box in the cowling is the cdi unit and the coil is mountd on the side of the block"

"thank's for the info.The

"thank's for the info.The motor has good compression, and if I hold plug wire while I pull starter can feel only a trickle of juice,but no spark to plug with grounding.I reluctantly pulled flywheel off and see this flat, rusted
electronic device and thought maybe that's the culprit?..don't have a manual,did'nt want to get too involved with the engine not knowing anything about it but said what the heck...maybe a few buck's on that piece might get the little thing humming again..."

may be but if you had a dva me

may be but if you had a dva meter you could test it to see if its bad they are usaully what goes bad on those motors i have a modified 5hp a girl gave me so guy welded up an adapter the a 3.5hp mid section and bolted on a 5hp its got the factory motor beat in all ways more torque more speed and less weight only weighs 36 pounds i run it on my little fishing rig a alittle loud when on plane its got open exhaust like the old merc racers

"sound's like quite a rig.

"sound's like quite a rig..I checked the site you posted,and they do list the part you talked about
exicter coil,but did'nt have a picture of it,Im
sure you're correct in the name of it,not sure if I want to drop $60 buck's into one though,not knowing any history of the motor itself and what else may be wrong with it,don't have the meter you mentioned,so think I'll wait to see if I can find a cheap used one somewhere...maybe ebay or something..thank's for your help..good fishin'.."

well if you have spark mine ju

well if you have spark mine jumps atleast a half inch if you take the plug and plug it in and hold it away for a powerhead bolt and pull if you have a spark and its weak its usaully the exicter coil or ignition coil have you done a compression check with a gauge and have you went through the carb and fuel pump yet ai mean anything could keep her from running i like to check eveything

Back