Logo

318 with paragon vdrive re oil

E

Eero Karppa

"I'm in the process of rem

"I'm in the process of removing the v-drive off the trans to access a leaking stuffing box. It is almost ready to come out, but when I removed a bolt from where the v-drive bolts to the trans, there was oil coming out. I put the bolt back in and was wondering if this is v-drive oil or trans oil...I know they are both different but not sure which unit it was coming from. It was quite dark in color so am assuming it was v-drive oil. Also what kind of oil should be put back in? Is it 90w gear oil? the model is a pv31L. Thanks in advance for any input. I think the trans should be dextron but again not sure... only had this boat for 2 months and really need to re-pack the stuffing box."

"Why not try to tighten the st

"Why not try to tighten the stuffing box before going through all that hassell? My stuffing box was literally pouring water into my boat (also a vee drive). I was certain I would have to repack it. I got a pack nut wrench from Home depot , and a small stubby pipe wrench, and tighened it up abput a 1/4 turn or so and all the leaking stopped. Just remember to leave the final adjustment to about 6-8 drips a minute when not running so as to lube the propeller shaft and prevent scoring it."

"You also have to replace the

"You also have to replace the packing every 150 hours or so of operation. If not, the lubrication in the packing will go away and the shaft will be scored.

I strongly recommend the Teflon packing.

Jeff"

"Russell, I tried every positi

"Russell, I tried every position possible to reach that nut. At best could only get one hand on it so I decided to make myself some more room.

Jeff, will try the teflon packing instead of the flax. If it lasts longer I'm happy.

Thanks guys for the replies although I'm still not sure what weight of oil the v-drive should use. Can't find much info on the net about these units as they seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird."

"Yeah I know its a tight fit u

"Yeah I know its a tight fit under there. I have a walter v drive setup so maybe there is more room than the paragon setup has. I actually have a spare paragon sitting in my driveway that I cant use. When I got my motor for my boat, it came with it. I really wouldnt know what oil it takes. Looks like ATF on the dipstick of the one I have. There's a place called great lakes power in Ohio that deals with Paragon, you could call them and find out what oil goes in your model. 440-951-5111. Hope that helps."

"Russell, I actually had to us

"Russell, I actually had to use my digital camera to get an image of the packing nut... there is no other way to see it. I'll give Great Lakes Power a call. Thanks for that info. Don't throw out that paragon unit. I'm sure someone will want to buy that from you."

"Wow, you must have no room un

"Wow, you must have no room under there. I at least had enough room to get some wrenches in there and adjust it. Well good luck."

My Paragon PV31 and gear case

My Paragon PV31 and gear case both use ATF.
I just don't remember now if it is Dexron or Ford type.

"I have a Paragon v-drive and

"I have a Paragon v-drive and transmission. I need to add oil to both the v-drive section and the transmission section. I believe it should be automatic transmission oil for both sections. but I am not sure where the plug is to install the oil in the v-drive and the gear box section. Can someone please give me an idea where these plugs are located and approximately how much oil and what type should be put in each section? There is only one dip stick that I see located in what I believe is the transmission section. I added oil through the dip stick section of the gear box. Are the v-drive and transmission somehow connected with the same reservoir of oil? If not, please give me the location for the ports to install the oil and approximately how much and what type?"

"Got the v-drive out, and a co

"Got the v-drive out, and a couple hundred gallons of water (didn't get to the marina in a month and the batteries died) able to access the stuffing box,sprayed pb blaster on the lock nut, went back the next day and cracked them open easily. Turned the tightening nut in by hand about a turn and the leak stopped. Will be able to sleep easy now knowing that the river has stopped flowing. Now have to muster up some courage to re-pack it in the water. Have a 110 pump as back-up in addition to the bilge pump, just in case. Just wondering what size teflon packing to buy, the shaft is one inch diameter, the tightening nut is one and seven eighths and the lock nut is two inches."

"Nicholas, It's Dextron fo

"Nicholas, It's Dextron for both and I'm thinking that you fill it from the dipstick tube. There's one for each unit but not sure on the capacity... just add enough until it reaches the full mark on the stick.

Eero"

"The tranny should be "Ful

"The tranny should be "Full" when it it hot and the motor has JUST been shut off. (In other words, shut down and pull the dipstick immediately.) Cold, it may be way above the "Full" mark, and that is okay.

Don't ever run it less than hot "Full" or it will burn itself up! Trust me on this. A matter of a cup of fluid is enough to cause slippage.

Jeff"

"I have a 31ft Silverton with

"I have a 31ft Silverton with twin 318's and Paragon pv31's and yes, the stuffing boxes are a nightmare to access. You can contort your body enough to get one wrench on the main nut, but almost impossible to get the lock nut at the same time. I just purchased this boat last year in Cape Cod and shipped it myself accross the country and after a series of mistakes ended up with the props on the wrong side and the tranny control cables in backwards resulting in a boat that travelled forwards when the levers were pushed forwards, however, the trannies were in reverse. That lasted about five minutes before the tranny blew up. I ordered a complete clutch kit from great lakes power, and then removed the tranny and now have it on my bench. In taking the unit apart I found that the cause of failure was that the keyway pin that drives the oil pump gear sheared off and the centre gear spun on the shaft resulting in no oil pressure, hence, no tranny function. I contacted great lakes again only to find out you can no longer buy individual parts, only the whole oil pump.I also tried to get specs from them for re-assembly of the clutches but was told that it is all done by feel and there are no specs per say or manuals. If anyone can offer some assistance, it would be greatly appreciated....Chris"

"Oh, Chris; I feel for you! I

"Oh, Chris; I feel for you! It's my experience that deals that start out awful (like this) usually end up working great in the end. Let's hope so.

Jeff"

"Yup, that's what happens

"Yup, that's what happens when you have lots of people involved and they are all in a rush and you are paying a 70 ton crane by the hour. Anyhow tranny is out, I have most of the parts, and I plan on putting the boat on the dry next month and fixing all the things that should have been done prior to it going in the water the first time. I am sure I will be on here regularly from now on for advice on my stuffing box's, trannys, and bottom paint. I am also having electrical issues, and keep frying alternators. I now have two new ones, and a new bank of batteries to install when the boat is out. Any advice on the tranny would be great if at all possible....they are 33's not 31's as i listed above. Thanks.....Chris"

"Hi Chris, wish I could give y

"Hi Chris, wish I could give you some advice on your transmission but not well versed on these yet... still working on mine. I bought my boat last june and haven't even driven it. I only hope my trans is good after I get the v-drive back in. It worked well at idle so keeping my fingers crossed. Don't really want to pull the trans in the water. Mine is a pv31 which is a 1-1 ratio. Not sure about the pv33... maybe 1.5 -1

Good luck with it... all will be well I'm sure
Eero"

"Is engine counter rotation? I

"Is engine counter rotation? I have a 34ft. Silverton with twin 360 Chryslers. While the boat is new to me it is a 1978. The port eng. was bad and needs to be replaced, bought as is. The plug wires were removed and the starter gone. How can I tell rotation for proper replacement or is the rotation done in the trans or vee drive? PS starboard eng runs good. Thanks"

If you have paragon trannys th

If you have paragon trannys then both engines rotate the same direction and the counter-rotation is created in the tranny. Your port side tranny will be marked "L" on the tag indicating left rotation.
Chris

""Keys" are standard c

""Keys" are standard catalog parts. Any machinery supply company has them. If the keyway is enlarged, its still fixable. My brother's 240Z had the key on the crank pully go and enlarge the keyway to where the original size key would not fit well. It took about an hour with a Dremel tool to CAREFULLY grind the keyway larger on the shaft, and to file out the keyway in the pully to fit. I just took it very slow and easy until I got a tight fit to the next largest key from the machinery supply store. It was a bargain for my brother, the dealer wanted to replace the crank at a hideous price. A couple of bucks for a new (larger key) and an hour or so of my time."

"The keyway on the oil pump ge

"The keyway on the oil pump gear is an oddball, at least I have never seen one like it before. It is like round stock at one end and square at the other. I am sure it could be machineed if it came to that, but what hardness of steel is required to allow it to be strong enough but also shear at the right point. The biggest problem is to aquire the gear as mine is damaged."

Back