Logo

Tohatsu 30 horse WEAK SPARK

kar777

"i'm getting a very very v

"i'm getting a very very very weak spark from my tohatsu 30 horse pull start. and only weak sparks about every third pull. my question is does anyone think its a bad coil, i've always been told that when a coil goes bad it won't give off ANY spark? if not what else should i check (and how)i know the parts under the flywheel are what give the coil power so i guess theres a chance that some of that is bad, and how do you tell if this is the case? i'm just looking for any tips on what i might try next before buying a coil i may not need. if anyone has any i would REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

- By the way -i would appreciate it if no one replies telling me to get a manual and trouble shoot it. thank you

i'm just a country boy trying to figure this one out on my own and would appreciate some word of mouth tips if anyone has any especially regarding the ignition coil possibility.

THANKS!"

well i have seen coils go bad

well i have seen coils go bad in many ways but ignition coild on jap motors very rarely fail i would be more concerned about the charge coil under the flywheel im not sure what year you have but to test a charge coil take a dva readingoff its output at cranking or pulling speed most engines have 300-350 volts i dont know if the service manaul has dva specs or not as i remember i wrote them down when i was at school i dont use a manaul either i know the stuff to well if you have a dva meter and kno how to use it. just unplug the charge coil leads and plug the dva up and see if you get around 300-350 volts your probelms probaly else where

well let me kno if this helps mr guru will probaly have a nice helpful reply as well

""By the way -i would appr

""By the way -i would appreciate it if no one replies telling me to get a manual and trouble shoot it."

Anyone that is unwilling to help themselves can't be helped. Troubleshooting using the manual is the only way to do this unless you are extremely lucky. If that seems harsh I'm sorry, but the help that people want is not always the help that they need."

hey thanks bj i'll give th

hey thanks bj i'll give that a shot because i was kinda with you it seems unlikely that the coil went bad especially if its weak sparking every once in a while. Thanks for the tips man.

Back