Logo

LM 318 in storage for five years

J

Jim Baker

"Hello, everyone. I just got a

"Hello, everyone. I just got a 1973 Luhrs 28 with LM318 V-drive that's been sitting in storage for five years. The engine turns over well enough using starter motor. I pulled one plug nearest the stern to check for rust or signs of water, it looks OK.

Carb looks gummy and smells of varnish. What's my next step?"

Replace both carbs (I assu

Replace both carbs (I assume they are Carter AFBs) with Edelbrock 1409 marine carbs.

Jeff

"Hello Jeff,

She's a si

"Hello Jeff,

She's a single engine with a Holley. The Edelbrock will go on the wish list, but for now I'm hoping a good cleaning will do?

We're actually aiming to get her running so we can write up an agenda for repairs/maintenance, then back to storage in November."

"It's always preferable to

"It's always preferable to rebuild or repair what's already bolted in, when worth it. I'll see if I can find a kit for the old geezer.

I hate to think what condition that gas is in. Might need a mud pump to get it out."

"Jeff. I have a 2BDL carter ca

"Jeff. I have a 2BDL carter carbie on my 265 Cubic Inch straight six Australian production 200 HP. The Holley and the Edelbrock are the carbie used by all the high performance race cars. Is the Carter just a carbie? I know they are thirsty. I think it is, both Bdls, opening at a rev range!!??. I will see what is available [marine ] to replace my carter for H/E carbie. The way i read the posts the change is worth the effort and the dollars spent. Would that be a correct statement for me to make? There is a good site here on the 265 Hemi. Enjoy reading the posts. Jon"

"Not sure what a two barrel Ca

"Not sure what a two barrel Carter is like, but if it's similar to the auto carb, you'll have a tough time adapting it to something else. Unless you could find another intake manifold (with a common carb arrangement), your best bet would be a Rochester/ Mercruiser two barrel.

Jeff"

"Jeff. I would say it is a rew

"Jeff. I would say it is a reworked auto carbie. I can buy 4 Bdl performance intake manifolds for this motor. Another way to go is see if i can rework the existing one. For interest the following is on the manifold 26 [ this is inside a rectangular raised frame ] and E 7 [ this is in a rectangular raised frame ] Do those numbers mean any thing to you? The fresh water cooled water manifold has HEMI 180. Chrysler may have used the system from a six marine US motor. This motor is Australian. I will see what i can find on the sites here. Jamie did a good post on 17 August 2008 on the 265 Hemi.Mine runs like a sewing machine at idle and then, stand back. If you find the time have a read. Thanks You Jon"

"IF you have a fresh water coo

"IF you have a fresh water cooling (closed cooling) system with anti-freeze, then you can use an aluminum intake, but NOT if you raw water cool the motor! The electrolysis will eat it alive.

Jeff"

"Jeff , fresh water cooled. Ch

"Jeff , fresh water cooled. Chrysler Australia realised their market catchment operated in salt water. Chrysler was SMART. It is a crime what happened to Chrysler Marine. Their cars are selling here. Even our State Premier drives one as HER offical car. So much for an Australian production Holden GM , Ford or Toyota. SHE, that's right a female, may have a Chrysler Marine unit in her garage. Jon"

"Jeff. You would like this one

"Jeff. You would like this one. Premier of the State of Queensland, Anna Bligh is a decendent of Captain Bligh who was in charge of HMS "Bounty". Clark Gable played a part in the movie "Mutiny on the Bounty" 1935. Captain Bligh sure knew how to sail and navigate . The Premier has many of the Captains traits. Handles the decks of our Parliament with ease and may be even a boatie! I do not know the lady. Who knows, her crew may even pick up this post and reply. Those LUHRS must be a good boat! Frederick Pel."

Captain Bligh was nowhere near

Captain Bligh was nowhere near the monster as was portrayed in the films--Hollywood at work.

What do you think of our Sarah Palin?

Jeff

"Jeff. They are trying to ban

"Jeff. They are trying to ban Pit Bulls out here. They may have achieved it, will check! Meanwhile in Alaska, the polar bears are still roaming. Soon to settle down and hibernate. I would like to think that civilized people would leave their guns at home, in the company of lipstick hockey mums. Even if they are all puck-ed up, and ready to go. Player and spectator alike. Come to think of it, would be difficult to get a pit bull into a hockey game or near one. Even if it was wearing lip stick, regardless of the shade. There would be a local government control on that. Maybe those bear bangers being fired will be enough to scare all. Bears as well. Polar, Black, Brown, Grizzley, Oh! and also Koala. Frederick Pel"

"Jeff. We hear all the noise o

"Jeff. We hear all the noise out here. No matter who gets in NOVEMBER the dice have been thrown. George Soros has been so correct on the depth of the hole dug. The stone droped has not been heard to hit the bottom......--.. Back to boats. The LUHRS, from what i have read are a good boat! Out here some boats seen to hold their value more than the USA. I resently spoke to a marine broker on the Gold Coast and was told the marine industry is depressed. The sports boats market is crashed. Boats worth $60,000.00 second hand are being sold for $40,000.00, to facilate a sale. We have been flooded with your sports production boats powered by merc. I follow MarineMax, their investor relation site reflects it all. Your gas price of <$4.00 a gallon against ours >$6.00 here makes boating an expensive past time. We may be buying Chrysler Sail boats to enable us to post on the site. Frederick Pel"

Back