Logo

Propane fuel conversion

crclass

"I am thinking about convertin

"I am thinking about converting to propane fuel for my Chrysler 318 engines. I have a house boat with twin 318s and I am looking to get away from ethanol fuel, as i think this is causing some moisture issues. Anyone have any advice on this subject?"

"Ayuh,...

To the best of My

"Ayuh,...

To the best of My knowledge,...

There are No LPG, or CNG conversions available that have been "Approved"..."

Approved!!! there aren't e

Approved!!! there aren't even any that are practical.

There are a lot easier ways to correct moisture issues...

"It's illegal to carry pro

"It's illegal to carry propane inside a boat in my area. Barbecue cylinders have to be swim platform mounted. It's horrible stuff on a boat - heavier than air, it will sneak down in nooks and crannies of floors and under decks....stinks and explodes..."

Go ahead and put a propane sys

Go ahead and put a propane system on your boat.------Surprise fireworks displays with lots of noise are the best.

"With the thousands of boats i

"With the thousands of boats in the Puget Sound area, many of them with propane stoves, in fact most that have cabins have propane stoves, many with propane heat also, and virtually no explosions. Let me think........ 29 years and 10 months on the second largest fire department in the state, 51 miles of shoreline that we protect, and being a fireboat officer, I can't remember a propane explosion on a boat.

But, spread the fear. Propane will explode. Propane is evil. Propane will eat your children. Now, gasoline on the other hand is the perfect fuel. It has many of the same properties of propane, heavier than air, collects in pockets, etc. Gasoline has a very close flammable range to propane, 1.4-7.6% for gas and 2.1-10.4% for propane. Propane has only 74% of the energy of gasoline so, cubic foot for cubic foot gasoline packs a bigger punch. Oh, that evil propane.

K"

"Well stated Fred. My point i

"Well stated Fred. My point is not that they were more dangerous than gas, my point was that:

A) To the best of my knowledgs, at least on the east coast, there are no, or at most, very few refilling stations with the capability to refill you in the water.

B) Portable canisters do not have enough capacity to last any real length of time in this environment.

As far as safety, like you stated, that is no more of an issue than with gasoline. I kringe every time I see one of those conversion vans with a propane tank bolted to the back door. Now that's dangerous."

"Exactly right Rick. Impractic

"Exactly right Rick. Impractical on a boat for a number of reasons as a propulsion fuel. But as a heating fuel or cooking fuel it works just fine on a boat with reasonable precautions. The prior posters though, seem to want to ban it being on a boat at all.

K"

i am switching my 1961 26'

i am switching my 1961 26' tollycraft with a single 312ci interceptor with dual side draft carbs to propane cause the carbs are known to leak and catch fire and not only that the gas drains into the oil. now thats safe...

"[b]"But, spread the fear.

""But, spread the fear. Propane will explode. Propane is evil. Propane will eat your children. Now, gasoline on the other hand is the perfect fuel."

Ayuh,... You seem to want to put alot of words in my mouth there Fred,...
I only said there are No "Approved" systems for conversions...

Truth of the matter is,... Diesel is the "Perfect" fuel for a Boat...."

"There is a differnce for main

"There is a differnce for main power use as the tank would be mounted inside the hull, unlike appliance bottles which can be mounted on a swim grid etc. A propane tank inside the hull that develops a leak will vent itself entirely into the hull. (as it is under pressure) Diesel is the safest fuel on a boat and a diesel forced air furnace is cheap and offers safe cabin heat too."

Re: "I am thinking about convertin

I know that the outboard on the river walk in san antonieo ,tx run natural gas
"I am thinking about converting to propane fuel for my Chrysler 318 engines. I have a house boat with twin 318s and I am looking to get away from ethanol fuel, as i think this is causing some moisture issues. Anyone have any advice on this subject?"

Re: i am switching my 1961 26'

i am switching my 1961 26' tollycraft with a single 312ci interceptor with dual side draft carbs to propane cause the carbs are known to leak and catch fire and not only that the gas drains into the oil. now thats safe...

Ayuh,..... 'n a propane leak is somehow better, or worse than a gasoline leak,..??

Back