Logo

Clinton j9 lower unit

joerocket

"I just bought one of these 5h

"I just bought one of these 5hp motors (sn 86498), and it runs great. I just can't figure out how to fill the lower unit with oil and exactly what kind. I see two screws down there with o-rings, but I don't know which is for what. Thanks for any help."

"it's my understanding tha

"it's my understanding that you should use lubriplate 105. you take both screws out, the bottom one is for filling, when the new lubricant comes out the top, you're done. Yes, it's a bit messy, but this is how it works.

Good Luck..."

"Thanks for the help, I just p

"Thanks for the help, I just pulled it apart and it looks and smells like gear oil, not grease, in it. Is that going to be a problem? Also, a new problem has surfaced. I have a fuel leak on a little plastic unit that I think is an aftermarket fuel pump of some sort that runs off crank vacuum pulses. The previous owner said it is used to convert the engine to a single line fuel setup as opposed to two lines. Can I eliminate this faulty part? Please help!"

"Joe,

We're kinda'

"Joe,

We're kinda' running into the limit of my knowledge here. I had been hoping that someone might chime in here who was familiar with clintons. It is possible that gear oil is what was specified for these engines. I just assumed that since almost all the old small mercury engines used lubriplate, the clintons were the same. I know that some people took the old two line Johnsons and evinrudes and put modern johnson/evinrude fuel pumps on them. I didn't even know clintons used a two line system. Perhaps it's time to go over to the AOMC board. They have an "ask a member" forum and I have seen clinton discussions one there from time to time. Take a few pictures of the motor and pump, then post the serial and model numbers of the motor. The experts at the AOMC ask a member board can take it from there.

Best of Luck"

Back